 General / 51731
Re: Coolest LEGO Experience?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 15:21:42 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jake McKee wrote:

What is your coolest LEGO Experience?

   Two, recent moments:

   1) Attending Celebration III (a Star Wars convention) as a member of an ISD
speed-build team with my 7-yr-old son Ben. In under 24 hours we built three ISD
(two on Saturday with only a couple of hours inbetween), with a best time of
1h23m, in a public area with huge crowds of costumed people walking through. Our
team had two kids (Ben, 7, and another boy who was 6 - only one other team of
the eight even had a kid on it, I think), and crushed all the other teams in
head-to-head builds to win the whole event. I could comment about the wild
costumes, or the amazing LEGO folks hosting us, the awards, the fun of building,
and on and on. But the most memorable moments? Looking down over my son's head,
& building over his head, as my 7-year-old follows the directions to build the
mid-deck at blinding speed as an equal member of the team, and I scramble just
to keep him supplied with the right parts. Also, hugging him in wild joy when we
won every one of the three builds... especially the last!
   And as part of this, getting to swoosh a full ISD around a crowded convention
hall before "splashing" it, and splitting up four complete ISDs among the team
members. Wonderful, but still 2nd to watching Ben.

   2) Watching this same 7-year-old kid walk up to the podium at BrickFest 2005
to receive the 2nd place award for small Moonbase module. I was going crazy and
applauding... and you could hardly hear me over the roar of the crowd when the
other AFOLs realized a "kid" had just taken the 2nd place prize. The module was
a blast to work with him on, but the *community* made that event one of the
pivotal ones since exiting my Dark Ages.

--
Brian Davis