 General / 39795
Re: Coolest LEGO Experience?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 18:59:02 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jake McKee writes:
Inspired by John's post (http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=39785), I would
love to throw out a question!

What is your coolest LEGO Experience? Maybe you built an amazing castle when
you were eight years old. Or perhaps you've had a more recent experience
like watching an FLL robotics competition where you saw kids participating
in the most thrilling event of their lives. Or maybe you finished the
perfect train car and posted it online.

I would love to hear!

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Sr. Producer
LEGO Direct

My coolest LEGO moment (and there are so many...) is when, after I made a
movie using LEGO bricks and forwarding a copy to the Canadian head office, I
got a letter from Jack E. Chessman, the then Vice President of LEGO
Marketing, Canada (this was a while back...) inviting me up for a tour of
the Samsonite/LEGO facilities in Stratford, Ontario (that'll date me right
there).

He mentioned during my tour that everyone in the building gathered in the
lunchroom once and watched the movie and they all really enjoyed it.  As I
was touring the facility, folks there were chatting with me about the
movie--how I did it and such.  It was one of the best experiences of my
life, and it reinforced the idea that you don't have to stop enjoying 'the
Brick' after you hit your teens.

After that, the legal department in Denmark sent me a letter, concerned
about copyright infringements.  So that was my second worse LEGO experience,
but I got over it(1).  I still have the Copyright brochure they sent me, as
well as all the correspondance.  The movie, on the other hand, I do not
have--the Beta tape it was on was, well, Beta, and somehow got lost during
one of the many "house clean-ups", when all Beta stuff got thrown out.

So there you are.

Dave K.
(1)"I make an epic and they give me the legal department" was a quotation
about me in my high school yearbook in regards to this very issue.