 General / 40260
Re: Coolest LEGO Experience?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people
Date:
Tue, 24 Dec 2002 20:09:03 GMT

"Holger Matthes" <matthes@fh-aachen.de> writes:
(2) This is a people related story: One day Bill from California
asked at www.1000steine.de if there would be some German AFOL to
meet while he was on a business trip in Germany. We exchanged some
email and suddenly, one Sunday in Summer 2001 the door-bell rings
and there he was! LEGO, internet, worldwide fun! That is just great
if it comes to real-reality like that sunday.
http://www.wards.net/~bill/travel/2001/germany/lego-meeting/

This was definitely one of my coolest LEGO experiences.  I had a great
time, and Holger's hospitality was excellent.  It was the first time,
as an adult, that I had built in LEGO in combination with others, and
it was odd to me to be building with someone else's collection.  (I
was an only child, and there were no other kids in my immediate
neighborhood.  Except for a couple of occasions here and there, my
LEGO play was all solitary.)

But the other experience was the sequence of events that brought me
out of my most recent dark age.  Ever since childhood I have gone in
and out of dark ages, but I would always be alone.  I would get out my
LEGO collection, build a few things, maybe buy a few new sets, and
eventually get bored with nobody to share the hobby with.  I was
stagnating.

But about two years ago, my brother-in-law told me about Eric
Harshbarger's LEGO desk, which he had seen on Slashdot.  I looked at
the rest of Eric's sculptures at that time, and though to myself "Hey,
I could do that"...  My wife and I had been watching Pokemon on TV a
lot at that time, so I got the idea to build Pokemon creatures.  I
went to TRU and bought a bunch of the 3033 tubs (RIP) and got to work
on my first sculpture - Pikachu.  I then went on to build Bulbasaur,
and an incomplete Squirtle.  (I still haven't quite finished Squirtle:
I ran out of blue bricks from the 3033 tubs I bought...)
        http://www.wards.net/~bill/lego/sculpture/pokemon/

I found out about the local LEGO users group (BayLUG), and took
Pikachu and Bulbasaur to the meeting.  I've been active in that group
and on LUGNET ever since, and with all the interaction I've had with
other AFOL's, I don't see any more Dark Ages on the horizon for a long
time, if ever...

--Bill.

        Consistency is not really a human trait.
                         --Maude (from the film "Harold & Maude")