 General / 39822
Re: Coolest LEGO Experience?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people
Date:
Sat, 7 Dec 2002 03:19:13 GMT

Hello!

What is your coolest LEGO Experience? Maybe you built an amazing castle when
you were eight years old.

Yes I did:
(I was about ten and wearing strange glasses... But that's not my coolest
experience.)

I'd like to tell two stories. I don't know if they count as "cool", but they
are somewhat peculiar.

1.
In 1983 I got the set 6374 as a birthday present. I was in love. For me it
was (and still is) the most beautiful Legoland Town set I ever had.
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6374
But when I built up the model there was a part lacking, a white 6x8 plate.
This part is needed to make the floor of the first (and only) storey. ARGH!
I didn't own then such an element in my entire collection! So I was really
frustrated.
However, a couple of days later (it must have been a sunday and we did a
sunday walk, which I normally wasn't too keen on) - well, some days later
there was - and I still count that as a miracle - a white plate with 6 by 8
studs laying on the street! It was just laying there waiting for me! It was
a very old plate, probably from the 60ies with a quadratic surface on the
bottom side, and many cars seemed to have driven over it. But at this moment
I knew: There is a God. I was happy, took the plate and back at home I
inserted it into the model. And so I would do again, if I would build up my
6374 again, even though I now own several newer white 6x8 plates.

2.
I've got a friend, Bernhard, who attended the same classes as me at the
university. In fact we even graduated from the same high school together,
but we didn't know each other very well then. But then we met again at the
university and not knowing anybody else we were both glad to see each other.
And the more we got to know each other the more we talked about
non-small-talk things. One day in the course of our conversation we touched
the topic LEGO. "Yes", both of us used to play with it, and "yes", both of
us liked first of all the castles. And "yes", both of us played with it when
we were older than 12, and "yes", still to date! Wow, what a coincidence!
I planned to build a big castle for ages and Bernhard still stored a never
finished watchtower in his wardrobe that he had aimed to complete for a long
time. This project was resumed when his girl-friend confessed that she still
had a box with her childhood LEGO on her parents' attic....

Motivated by our LEGO conversation I typed "lego" into the search box of
eBay and found lots of items. I became a member, placed a bid on a 6074 (not
complete) and won.
And I typed "lego" into the search box of google and also found lots of
entries, amongst others also LUGNET.

So my conversation with Bernhard about our childhood LEGO was actually the
restart of my LEGO addiction (even if I never really had lost this addiction
after childhood and I every year got a catalogue and a couple of sets.)

That's it.

Bye
Jojo