 General / 39821
Re: Coolest LEGO Experience?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people
Date:
Sat, 7 Dec 2002 03:17:27 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jake McKee writes:

What is your coolest LEGO Experience? • snip
I would love to hear!

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Sr. Producer
LEGO Direct

A couple years ago I went to the house of the Religious Education Director at
my church to talk about a church banner I was to make.  As we were finishing
talking  about the banner, I started talking to her grandson, Hudsen (who was
about 4 years old) about Hot Wheels & other toys, especially construction
vehicles (his grandfather owns construction vehicles in his landscaping
company.)  I mentioned Lego, but he wasn't too familiar with them.  I went home
& a day or two later the grandmother called me to tell me how excited Hudsen
was at finding an older person (I was about 26) interested in toys.  She said
that I had interacted so well with him, she would like me to baby-sit him when
his mom & dad got married in the next couple weeks--I agreed.  I figured if he
liked construction vehicles, then he'd LOVE my Technic bar-code dump truck
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8479 & tow truck http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8462 .
Well, I picked him up at the reception & from the time we got to his house at
around 8pm to about 12-12:30 am, we were driving those trucks around & around
the living room & towing or dumping his other toys with the technic trucks.
That was one of the coolest 4-4 1/2 hours of simply playing with Lego I had in
a long time.  A couple months after that, he & his dad, Scott (about a year
younger than I was!) came over to my house & were amazed at the rest of my
collection.  Hudsen couldn't decide which of all my technic trucks were his
favorite (I'll be this one, you be that one; wait, now I'LL be that one & YOU
be this one!.)  Scott's favorite was instantly the front end loader
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8464 , which I got him for Christmas last year when
it was re-issued (I got Hudsen the re-issued forklift
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8463, & got them both a pack of technic team
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8300.)  And they're still my Lego buddies!

Jeff