 General / 39808
Re: Coolest LEGO Experience?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 20:19:53 GMT

Hard to choose between these two:
When I was twelve, there was a building contest to celebrate 25 years of
Lego (here in the Netherlands anyway). I won the local round in the Technic
category. That got me (apart from the honour) a Lego jacket (that I still
have, somewhere) and a place in the second round. That second round was my
worst Lego ambition ever: being over-ambitious I got nowhere.
A more recent cool experience was on holiday in Germany two years ago.
Driving through a little village I spotted some Lego in the window of the
local department store. My other half let me stop and go in to see if there
were some old sets. Looking around the shop there were a few discontinued
Technic sets, but nothing special. Just when I was about to leave the shop
assistant came and asked me what I was looking for. I told him I was looking
for old Lego sets. 'Follow me'... After what seemed like half a mile of
corridors we ended up in the store room. In the back there was a big set of
shelves. On those shelves there was blue train track (in box) including
switches, transformer. There were old Technic sets, old Model Team (I picked
up a 5581) but the highlight was......
Thatcher Perkins new in box! Not MISB, as it dates back to the days before
sealed bags, but still in the original box, instructions, stickers, and for
what must be the original price of 35DM (just under $20). One of the sets I
always wanted as a child, and finally, after 25 years, I got it!

Duq

"Jake McKee" <jacob.mckee@america.lego.com> wrote in message
Inspired by John's post (http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=39785), I would
love to throw out a question!

What is your coolest LEGO Experience? Maybe you built an amazing castle • when
you were eight years old. Or perhaps you've had a more recent experience
like watching an FLL robotics competition where you saw kids participating
in the most thrilling event of their lives. Or maybe you finished the
perfect train car and posted it online.

I would love to hear!

Jake
---