 General / 40263
Re: Coolest LEGO Experience?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people
Date:
Wed, 25 Dec 2002 09:08:06 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jake McKee writes:
What is your coolest LEGO Experience?
     When I was an architecture student in college, I spent more time
chatting in coffee houses and dorm television lounges than I did studying,
and the same group of people always seemed to show up for the invariably
long and interesting discussions.  After hanging out with them for some
time, one of the regular guys invited me to what he called "a Builder".
     Well, I picked up the required bottle of high potency adult beverage,
and walked through town to his off-campus house.  When I got there, the air
was laced with Pink Floyd at an incredible volume, and I asked some folks on
the porch what the heck a "builder" was anyway.  They led me inside to the
living room...
     ...where a HUGE pile of every concievable kind of Lego piece lay all
over the floor, and all around the house people were building the coolest
things: a cathedral; a "Heisenberg engine" (which was purported to give
unpredictable answers to your every question); a model of some chemical
structure; an incredible spaceship with what I would later learn is
SNOT-tiness.  I was amazed!  The coolest thing to me was the open feeling of
sharing and cooperation:  people would stop working on their own models to
pitch in on somebody else's, and others would invite each person to
contribute a chunk of brickwork a community model.  WOW!  Here were a bunch
of adults having a blast with Lego!  I wasn't the only one who harbored a
liking for the Brick!
     My host said something like "Hey, dude, grab some carpet and have some
fun!", and I built this awesome treehouse (with Dragonlance and D&D in my
head) that had three levels, a rope bridge, and this cool stairway that ran
around the trunk of the tree.  This thing was HUGE!  And this didn't even
dent the guy's collection...there was plenty of plastic goodness to be shared.
     I vowed that I would one day have a collection of Lego pieces like
that.  I'm still working on it, and don't plan on stopping any time soon.

Peace and Long Life,
and Merry Christmas,
Tony Alexander