 General / 39894
Re: Coolest LEGO Experience?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 21:46:12 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jake McKee writes:
What is your coolest LEGO Experience?

Since I've been playing with these silly plastic bricks for over 35 years
(!), there have been a lot of 'cool' LEGO experiences.

But, if you're asking me to pick just one, I'll pick the day that the movie
"Jingle All the Way" was being filmed at the LEGO Imagination Center at the
Mall of America.  The store was closed to the general public, and several of
us employees were there to be 'extras' for the day.  The scene was only a
few seconds in the movie, but it took the entire day to film.  Arnold
Schwarzenegger was running through the store, out the door and through the
'play area'.  Just before everyone broke for lunch, the director asked if
someone could build a 'castle' that Arnold Schwarzenegger's character could
crash through as he leapt over a table.  I immediately volunteered, and
spent the lunch break building four identical copies of a Duplo / Primo /
Toolo hybrid structure.  After lunch they must have filmed that bit 30
times, each time Arnold would crash through my castle, sending pieces flying
everywhere.  People would pick up all the parts, and bring them back to me,
and I'd give them a complete castle to film while I rebuilt the busted one.
It was a very fun afternoon, although it got a little crazy when I had two
busted castles, one complete one I was using as the pattern, and the last
copy was being positioned for the next take!

I've got a copy of the film at home, I should grab a couple of screenshots
from it just for old time's sake...  :-)

During a break I got to spend a few minutes with Mr. Schwarzenegger and one
of his friends, talking about toys.  It was a treat!

JohnG, GMLTC