 General / 39859
Re: Coolest LEGO Experience?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people
Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 10:49:53 GMT

Mine can only be described as a religious experience(1).

When I was a kid, I wanted a Galaxy Explorer.  Badly.  After what felt like
years (and more than a few false hopes), my parents finally came through for
me.  I was ecstatic.  I still remember running into the dining room (I knew
this was a big set!) and putting it together all in one go.  I kept it together
for a few months before its gold-mine of parts went into bigger spaceships.
Even after coming out of my dark age, I took it on faith that I'd never free
enough gray plates to put it back together.  I'd periodically gaze at the
instructions online, until they went away...

Shortly before the instruction DB returned, I printed out the parts inventory
from Peeron.  I was stunned that I had every part I needed, ready and
waiting--except the instructions.  I put the tray together, brought it into my
office, and waited.

A few days later, Brickshelf was reborn.  I found a window of time, and I
grabbed it.  I began to build.  I had put the Galaxy Explorer together only
once before, more than twenty years ago, but after the first few steps, my
hands remembered where each piece went.  This was no mere feat of memory.  I
was re-experiencing the moment when I had learned How To Build.  A series of
drawings in a simple stapled pamphlet had guided me through a single building
session in which I learned how to combine bricks and plates in a pleasing way.
There have been new parts, and I've learned new building techniques, but my
20+ years of building all trace back to one bright December morning.

I do not remember finishing the Galaxy Explorer the first time, but I will
never forget finishing it the second time, this past spring.  After capping the
tail with a single blue tile, I raced down to meet with my advisor where she
told me the Big News(2).  My professional life suddenly came into focus--or
rather, it clicked into place.  What symmetry that a clear vision of my future
as an educator should be so neatly paired with a clear vision of an ideal
learning experience from my past!

-Ted

(1) I'm a devout Unitarian-Universalist and a huge fan of The Brick Testament,
in case you couldn't tell.

(2) My advisor had found a project that would pay me to finish my dissertation
research.  The only catch: I had to move across the country.  I put my entire
household, including every last brick, into storage.  Watch what you wish for.

In lugnet.general, Jake McKee writes:
Inspired by John's post (http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=39785), I would
love to throw out a question!

What is your coolest LEGO Experience? Maybe you built an amazing castle when
you were eight years old. Or perhaps you've had a more recent experience
like watching an FLL robotics competition where you saw kids participating
in the most thrilling event of their lives. Or maybe you finished the
perfect train car and posted it online.

I would love to hear!

Jake
---