 General / 39907
Re: Coolest LEGO Experience?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 18:49:33 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gil Shaw writes:
100% behind you on that Chris.

When I was wee, I went on a late summer excursion to the mall of our suburb
on the outskirts of Toronto, Canada with my Mom, Aunt and my older cousin.
As per usual, my older cousin was in line to scoop up one of those
electronic football games that were all the rage at the time.  My Mom didn't
have a lot of money in those days, so I knew not to ask for such things.
However, she saw that I would love to have somthing so she picked out the
classic 487 (Can.) http://guide.lugnet.com/set/924  for me.  I still
remember how it looked in the bag and in the car on the way home.  When I
sat down on the floor and opened up the box, the site of the simple diorama
on the cover had me in a land of bliss.  This was to be my toy of passion
for the next 20+ years.
I put it together (after a few tries...I was pretty young) and played with
it non stop that day.  I put it on my dresser by the window before going to
bed.  When I woke up the next morning, the sun was beaming through the
window and shining right through those translucent yellow part, lighting it
up like a sun flare.  The image is still pristine in my mind.

I still have all the parts and have rebuilt it not long ago.

Gotta love it.

Cheers,
-G

I guess the thing that was always fun about classic space (and all classic
lego themes for that matter) is the blank slate of adventure it created.
Yes we had seen Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica and some reruns of Star Trek
back in those days, but in our imagination we combined themes and thoughts
and struck out to universes invented in our dreams and visited in newly
created ships by the time our Dad got home in the afternoon.

I'm not against new themes and sets with story lines of today.  I'm just
thankful for that grey, blue and trans yellow canvas of Classic Space that
launced white and red spacemen to wherever I wanted them to go.

Chris <><