 General / 39876
Re: Coolest LEGO Experience?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 01:40:56 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jake McKee writes:
What is your coolest LEGO Experience?  [...]

I'm not sure how I'd define "cool" or "coolest" experience, but I think the
most fun I've had would have to be the evening spent at Mark Sandlin's house
during NWBrickCon and a couple nights before that tipping back pints of Guinness
at an Irish pub with four space legends Sandlin, Palmer, Hafner, and Kuester.
I also couldn't believe I was in the same room with both Sproat and Lambrecht
at Sandlin's house.  Plus Palmer, busy turning Mathis's train into a microfig-
scale heavy cruiser.  That blew my mind.  It was awesome finally meeting
Sproat and Barbara, too, after several years of enjoying their creations.

I think the most emotional experience I've had was seeing Suzanne Green's
(then Rich) minifig chess set[1] and her Legopolis layout in person in 1996
after just having seen it on the web.  It was like, hey, it's *real*!  And
*you're* real!  Cool!

Seeing Eric Kingsley's shelf railway[2] in person recently was also very
emotional for me.  It almost felt like a religious experience.  Being a die-
hard space-head, I'm not a particularly big fan of LEGO trains, but I was
totally mesmerized by this one, and watched it go around the room at least
20 times.  I got dizzy.  It was awesome.

--Todd

[1] http://www.baseplate.com/ideas/human-scale/chess/
[2] http://www.thekingsleys.net/nursery/zgr/