 General / 39874
Re: Coolest LEGO Experience?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 00:42:35 GMT

What is your coolest LEGO Experience?

I just needed to chime in on this one...

I am a fan of lego bricks from way back. My father was in the service and so
I was introduced to legos around 1964. The boy upstairs had them.

My parents (and their German friends) dutifully supported my interest for a
while -- but when I hit preteen and I WAS A GIRL (still in the dark ages,
remember) the support stopped. No more sets for me, not ever. "I had
outgrown legos." This was still long enough ago that I don't remember seeing
lego sets available in the States at all. We got our sets at Christmas --
bought in Germany and shipped over. So without parental cooperation I was hosed.

My brothers did share while my mother sniped.

Well eventually, much later, I had kids -- 2 girls, and bought them duplo's.
They turned up their noses. I waited a couple of years and got them lego
sets. They still turned up their noses.  Oh well -- they are girls, I give up.

So a couple of years later my husband and I are Christmas shopping. He
ogle's the train set and I fall in love with Mindstorms. We sigh and wish
our kids liked legos.

He sneaks back out and gets me Mindstorms. I slip out and get him some trains.

On Christmas morning there are hundreds of dollars worth of lego's under the
tree -- none of them are for the kids -- and a bunch of them are mine all mine.

Well after that we needed more, More, MORE!
(And the kids are even willing to play if we are.)

Margaret