 Trains / *14869 (-100)
  Re: Mindstorms Automatic Train Control Questions

(...) I used Reed sensors in the last train show the VLC did. They worked well. I had 3 of them in parallel for the trolley track. It would move between 3 stations and stop at each one for a time. (URL) also used a reed in a little building to (...) (23 years ago, 31-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Gray VS. Black Metroliner Nose

(...) lol I don't think that that was Lar's intention at all, Rick. I think his troll is worse than his byte... (ouch, even *I* grimaced at that one:-) ++John (23 years ago, 31-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Gray VS. Black Metroliner Nose

(...) Venemous??? Hardly! (...) I don't think it did! Jason's slagging me right back. (...) Plenty cool. Don't get me wrong, steam is neat. Steam engines are impressive. It's just not practical. It can never convert as high a percentage of input (...) (23 years ago, 31-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Gray VS. Black Metroliner Nose

(...) Thanks for the compliments, Larry and Tim. I'll do some more pictures when I get some time. I've got a cheap camera, so I need to experiment to get good lighting. Tim's right, it's hard to capture the character of trains like this through (...) (23 years ago, 31-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Mindstorms Automatic Train Control Questions

(...) many (...) to one (...) the train, (...) You can use the Scout to detect trains also with cheap custom made reed sensors, they behave like passive sensors. IMO they're ideal to detect trains: the magnetic couplings of the cars are strong (...) (23 years ago, 31-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Mindstorms Automatic Train Control Questions

(...) With the Scout (or RCX for that matter) you can use a phototransistor as a light sensor for the scout. Put a light or IF emitter on the other side of the track and it can detect a break in the light. You can count cars or anything you want. It (...) (23 years ago, 31-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Gray VS. Black Metroliner Nose

(...) Yikes! Did you mean for your response to Jason's joke to sound so venomous? I didn't think the discussion was intended to upset. Also, for die-hard, steam fans, steam may have lost, but it's far from dead, and who knows, it seems it could (...) (23 years ago, 31-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Mindstorms Automatic Train Control Questions

One Addition for Scout, you can use a fiber cable to connect Scout and a micro-scout, let that micro-scout to control a switch point, so you can get three output ports from Scout. Then if you can put Scout on a special position with a external light (...) (23 years ago, 31-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.scout)

  Re: Mindstorms Automatic Train Control Questions

You can use Scout to control trains like using RCX, I had tested. The difference is that Scout only can use passive light sensor, then they only have two input and output ports, then you only can use NQC, not legOS. When you write NQC, you can use (...) (23 years ago, 31-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Pictures of FGLTC train show in Muelheim/Germany

WUNDERBAR!!! Und ihr müssen so viel Spass haben. Ich bin einversüchtig. I'll invite you all when I'll organize a show in the Maritimes... Congratulations from Canada Freundlichen Grüssen, Jean-Marc (...) (23 years ago, 30-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Mindstorms Automatic Train Control Questions

Hello all, Thanks for your help. I am back with more questions. First, is it possible to use scout computers like the one in this auction (URL) control trains instead of the RCXs? Is looks like they're a lot cheaper, but are they not as good as the (...) (23 years ago, 30-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Gray VS. Black Metroliner Nose

(...) <snip> (...) I'd actually say that WAS a brawny beefy loco (i know thats not what you mean larry!) I think that british locos (both steam and diesel/electric) are harder to reproduduce because they have all their pipework etc hidden away, thus (...) (23 years ago, 30-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  When PNLTC was at LEGOLAND...

This is slightly off topic, but... when PNLTC was at LEGOLAND this summer, I remember one of the members mentioning staying at a camp ground near Camp Pendleton. Can this person please contact me? I am trying to track down the information about this (...) (23 years ago, 30-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Pictures of FGLTC train show in Muelheim/Germany (correct link)

(...) (URL) have just been parallel in the Lego®chat at 1000steine and have provided the prelimenary link to the girl, who was to be seen in that picture... Sorry for mixing up the links.) Ben (23 years ago, 30-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Pictures of FGLTC train show in Muelheim/Germany

(...) a (...) can't Thanks for that big praise, but I fear you are exaggerating a little: maybe it has been the best European train show ever, but I think we need another one or two years to reach the level of GMLTC or PNLTC shows..... We have had (...) (23 years ago, 30-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Pictures of FGLTC train show in Muelheim/Germany

(...) time where I have seen so many high quality MOCs in one place before and I can't (save for miniland;-) And thank you for showing me that I had a long lost brother "legopapi"! ;-) You must tell me more about Michael... Wunderbar! -John (23 years ago, 30-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Pictures of FGLTC train show in Muelheim/Germany

Ben, In light of the continued "we tell the story for you with big pieces" direction from Lego, as displayed in the recent scans from the 2002 Catalog, I appreciate you taking the time to assemble this collection of excellent train pictures. I look (...) (23 years ago, 30-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Pictures of FGLTC train show in Muelheim/Germany

Dear folks, most of you might have seen pop up lots of new similar galleries at brickshelf.com. These photos have been taken at the train show of the FGLTC in Muelheim on last Sunday. I have collected all links to the different galleries on one (...) (23 years ago, 30-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build, lugnet.loc.de, lugnet.loc.nl) !!

  Re: Mindstorms Automatic Train Control Questions

(...) No, it doesn't. The middle rail of the point[switch] is lightly sprung so that it can give way to a train coming the wrong way. The only derailment risk is if a long train is half-way across the point when you change direction. Then you get (...) (23 years ago, 30-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Mindstorms Automatic Train Control Questions

(...) AGAINST (...) train (...) You could try to add some weigth to your train to prevent this from happening (if it does happen ;-). Especially the cars that are not motorized. My 2 cents Bye, Jurgen (23 years ago, 30-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 2002 catalog scans at FBTB

Is there any new train contents in 2002? Zhengrong (...) (23 years ago, 30-Oct-01, to lugnet.year.2002, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Mindstorms Automatic Train Control Questions

(...) Thanks for sharing this idea. I would have thought this would cause the train to derail. This will make it much easier for me to reverse my trains. David (23 years ago, 29-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New My Own (Virtual) Creation 2400 loc

Hello Jeroen, Those look really good. A little shorter as the original as Jason said, but overall a very, very good looking model. Those steps on either end of the locomotive aren't going to work in real (lego) life however, as they interfere with (...) (23 years ago, 29-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 5304 No Longer Available?

(...) My thought is now, WHY!? Oh well, i'm glad the MOT's have parts I need;-) Josh (who'sspacebarstilldon'twork correctly) (23 years ago, 29-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 5304 No Longer Available?

(...) Doh! Your right. I even used them for Box cars and didn't realize the others were smaller. Thanks for the correction. I have LEGO on my face. Dean (23 years ago, 29-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 5304 No Longer Available?

"Dean Husby" <nntp@akasa.bc.ca> wrote in message news:3BDD891C.EA980E...a.bc.ca... (...) [ .... snipped ... ] (...) off (...) [ ... snipped ... ] Not true. 3737 comes with a 6x28 wagon plate and 10013, 10015, 10016, 10018, and 3741 (the base kit (...) (23 years ago, 29-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  (canceled)

  Re: 5304 No Longer Available?

"Jason J. Railton" <j.j.railton@cwcom.net> wrote in message news:GLyvE5.6y5@lugnet.com... (...) that (...) Available". (...) just (...) again. (...) packs. (...) [ ... snipped ... ] (...) I just got off the phone with S@H and the 5304 service pack (...) (23 years ago, 29-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Motorized Switch Blockhouse

There is a new Blockhouse at my home page (URL) will be controlled by RCX Switch Shed. Zhengrong (23 years ago, 29-Oct-01, to lugnet.town, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Gray VS. Black Metroliner Nose

(...) Ooh... that's cute. I especially like how you worked the letters and gold trim into the tender side. Very nice work indeed. Can't wait for more pics. But please note, I DID say "that's cute" not "that's a big brawny beefy serious engine you (...) (23 years ago, 29-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Does anyone know how to modify a train controler?

(...) You're just whinging. Get a bigger flat. Or get rid of the bed. Priorities, man... priorities! OK, I will stop now. But I WILL say this, I had LEGO in EVERY ROOM of my temporary apartment in Detroit. (23 years ago, 29-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Does anyone know how to modify a train controler?

(...) I know. I was there too. You bought me a bag of chips and they mucked up the order, remember? You may even have quaffed some of my Belgian cherry beer. Huw's got a great layout. Unfortunately I don't have a spare room in the flat I can devote (...) (23 years ago, 29-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Gray VS. Black Metroliner Nose

(...) No, touchy :-) Anyway, here's a real engine (since improved... more pics later): (URL) J Railton (23 years ago, 29-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 5304 No Longer Available?

(...) In lugnet.trains, Josh Baakko writes: (...) Sorry to break it to you, but I seriously doubt you'll ever see these again. They sold out in Europe months ago, soon after the buffer bars + magnets. I've been buying all 3737 wagon kits to get my (...) (23 years ago, 29-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Did you use saw to cut tracks?

Xacto (Sp?) produces a fine tooth rectangular saw that is designed for hobby work. I used one for cutting HO train track before my LEGO train days. I don't know if this is available where you are. Go to a hobby shop and get whatever is used to cut (...) (23 years ago, 29-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Did you use saw to cut tracks?

I am going to cut my tracks for my automation train layout, has anyone used saw to do this? I want to know which kind of saw is the best for this special task. Until now, I am using tape to isolate tracks, but this will let distance of isolation (...) (23 years ago, 29-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Mindstorms Automatic Train Control Questions

Zhengrong is right, the biggest trouble is controling the train's speed. And really one sensor is barely enough for each station especially if the train's speed varies from station to station. BTW if there is only one train you can gang up sensors (...) (23 years ago, 29-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: 5304 No Longer Available?

(...) Maybe we're going to see a 10- or 25-wheel bulk pack through LEGO Direct? :-) -Z- (23 years ago, 28-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Mindstorms Automatic Train Control Questions

(...) I do train automation all the time. Reed Switches work well. You CAN use one RCX for every 3 stations. That includes slowing down the train and stopping it. I live near a Skytrain and the entire system works off of computer controlled trains (...) (23 years ago, 28-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: 5304 No Longer Available?

(...) GOD no, please be an oddity! Josh (23 years ago, 28-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Mindstorms Automatic Train Control Questions

Snipped most of James's explanation, I just want to comment on one point (...) This is overkill. Just use the fact that you can align the switches AGAINST the incoming subway train and when it reverses, it will cross over to the other track with no (...) (23 years ago, 28-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Does anyone know how to modify a train controler?

(...) If you're not devoting at least 100 ft**2 to your layout, your priorities are wrong. :-) Who needs sleeping space or a dining room anyway? I've been to the UK, don't try to shine me on... it's not THAT small. I saw Huw's layout at the fest at (...) (23 years ago, 28-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New My Own (Virtual) Creation 2400 loc

(...) Cute. I thought it a neat design, good use of selective compression. To this American, it looks very NON American, but I think that just highlights what I've said here before... we spot the details that make things foreign in order to pigeon (...) (23 years ago, 28-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Does anyone know how to modify a train controler?

(...) I'd pay $40. If it had to be more because of the limited numbers be produced I might pay more (if I was buying from an entity like LEGO 40 would be the max.) Just out of curiosity, how much do *basic* model train transformers go for? Chris (23 years ago, 28-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: train decoupler

Hi Mark, Just build it... and you will see!!! I just works simple and wonderfull... I made a several designs, but this one was the most easy and did the job best! Regards Gerrit (...) (23 years ago, 28-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: train decoupler

(...) I see what he is doing. First, the drawing is semi-exploded. The piece with the flat gear (the "arm") fits into the box with the motor. The overlapping holes of the black and yellow beams fit over the rod sticking up from the red, white, and (...) (23 years ago, 28-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Adjust Switch Time

When you made a Motorized Switch Point, if you want to use RCX to control it, this switch time is important value, a suitable time is better to switch point. You can find my AdjustSwitch.c for legOS, that can help you to do this. (URL) (23 years ago, 28-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.trains)

  Re: train decoupler

(...) (23 years ago, 28-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Mindstorms Automatic Train Control Questions

I am glad to know there are more fans like to create automation train layout. I think you need RCX to control tracks, not stations or trains, you can get some ideas from my page (URL) RIS1.0 is the best if you use them in layout. You also need to (...) (23 years ago, 28-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Mindstorms Automatic Train Control Questions

(...) track (...) Sure, it is _possible_. How I would approach it follows. If so, which set would (...) AC (...) Nope, any one of them can be fitted to either the train or ground. If you are going to have stationary RIS's, it would be better to have (...) (23 years ago, 28-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Does anyone know how to modify a train controler?

The throttle would not have steps, it'd be a clean smooth sweep from 0v to 9v. The IR receiver would make it so any $5 universal remote could be used to control speed and direction. SteveB (...) (23 years ago, 28-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  5304 No Longer Available?

I was just poking through LEGO S@G ((URL) and noticed that the 5304 Train Wheels service pack is now listed as "No Longer Available". Is this a recent thing? I certainly hope we won't have buy 3737 kits just to get train wheels and turns out to be (...) (23 years ago, 28-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Mindstorms Automatic Train Control Questions

Hello, I am building a Lego subway line and I want to try to automate it. I am new to Mindstorms and I do not know how to get started. I saw there are now several starter sets, and three versions of the RIS. What I want to do is run 3-4 two car (...) (23 years ago, 27-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Gray VS. Black Metroliner Nose

(...) c /ugly/elegant and efficient/ Grow up, people. Steam lost. It costs too much. (23 years ago, 28-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Gray VS. Black Metroliner Nose

(...) heehee....touche:-) -John (23 years ago, 28-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Gray VS. Black Metroliner Nose

(...) Woha there. Hold onto them stallions... (...) Actually, isn't it electric? The pantographs (?) at the top should give it away... (23 years ago, 28-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New My Own (Virtual) Creation 2400 loc

(...) I like them!! Only little thing I noticed was the ladders at the end - probably mean they'll have trouble negotiating curves. I'm just doing a "P" class (Aus) loco and wanted to put ladders like that too - I've ended up attaching them to the (...) (23 years ago, 28-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New My Own (Virtual) Creation 2400 loc

Jeroen, They look good - nice models and very nice renderings. The engines do look like American prototypes. Where did you get the LDraw model for 9-volt track? Bob (...) (23 years ago, 28-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Gray VS. Black Metroliner Nose

(...) Hey all of my diesel's are beautiful to me! Although the steamersare still awsome. Josh (...) (23 years ago, 28-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Gray VS. Black Metroliner Nose

(...) Please. It's a Diseasal, so it'll look ugly whichever one you use :) I _do_ own 3 steam railway engines...even if they are 'only' 3/4" scale, and can only pull ~1000 lbs or so (well, 2 of 3 can). I am also building my metroliner 10001 today. (...) (23 years ago, 28-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New My Own (Virtual) Creation 2400 loc

(...) Those are really good! A little short, I think, compared to the photograph, but I think that makes for a better-looking engine. Detail and shape are fine, and overall it makes for a good-looking model. Jason J Railton (23 years ago, 27-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Gray VS. Black Metroliner Nose

(...) ::Thinks:: For crying out loud, it's Lego! Build what you want! Build it with grey ones. If you don't like it, change it back. Have you paid for it? Yes? Well, it's yours now. Go crazy. Have some FUN! Sorry, did I think that out loud? Anyway, (...) (23 years ago, 27-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Does anyone know how to modify a train controler?

(...) I'd be interested in a pulsed controller, but only at a fairly low price. Also I'd want a steady 9V take-off for running my point motors. Not so sure about the IR, but it would be cool if the IR actually rotated the dial, like my stereo's IR (...) (23 years ago, 27-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Does anyone know how to modify a train controler?

(...) Turned out pretty simple in the end, and a lot cheaper than a second-hand controller. I had to make do with 8V, as it was the only regulator I could get. But, it takes power from inside the standard controller, so only steps down from 15V to (...) (23 years ago, 27-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: train decoupler

(...) (URL) looked on recent updates;-) I don't get it though. JOSH (23 years ago, 27-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: train decoupler

(...) URL! Dean (23 years ago, 27-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  New My Own (Virtual) Creation 2400 loc

Hi, I made another MOC in LDraw, a dutch loc which is not used anymore. It was build in France but looks very American to me. Two renderings and a picture of the real loc at (URL) on the rendered pictures are 2 versions; a brown pre-eigthies version (...) (23 years ago, 27-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Gray VS. Black Metroliner Nose

(...) Buy two and do one each way. One of mine is graynosed. I think it looks better but YMMV. (23 years ago, 27-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Does anyone know how to modify a train controler?

(...) I would like a pulse power throttle but am saving my pennies for DCC. Since I'd need several, a more basic design that hits the 20 dollar price point is desirable. If it has a trimpot to set the upper range which is accessible from the (...) (23 years ago, 27-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Does anyone know how to modify a train controler?

(...) If you're into trains you have these controllers coming out of your ears. If you're not, post in market.buy-sell-trade and you can get one for about 1/2 the LEGO price. May or may not be competitive with homebrew. But I don't see homebrew (...) (23 years ago, 27-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  train decoupler

Hi Group, I just posted at Brickshell a new design for a train decoupler, to split large trains in smaller ones... Only a few parts are needed, fast and accurate! The picture is pretty much self explaining... Regards Gerrit Bronsveld PS for those (...) (23 years ago, 27-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Gray VS. Black Metroliner Nose

I think the black was to make it look like an anti-sunglare paint. Josh (23 years ago, 27-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Gray VS. Black Metroliner Nose

(...) I alternated between the two, leaving black on for a week, and gray on for a week, until I determined which one I liked better. I stuck with gray. I can see Ben's point about keeping models "Lego set pure" (most of mine are), or else build a (...) (23 years ago, 27-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Gray VS. Black Metroliner Nose

(...) My company did it once, but the philosophy changed later... I think now: there are Lego sets and if it is a design by TLC, then I will have it in the way it was meant. Even if it is an "ugly" design (as sets 7720 engine), it is not my job to (...) (23 years ago, 27-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Gray VS. Black Metroliner Nose

I just built my Metroliner. Fun! But I'm not so sure I like that black nose, what is the general feeling on this? Should my <-> company paint (Change out) the black nose for a more conventional gray? (The company bought some gray nose parts last (...) (23 years ago, 27-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Does anyone know how to modify a train controler?

(...) So, you mean that heavy trains would actually be able to run slowly instead of not running at all at settings like 1, 2, or 3? Hmm... an IR remote receiver, would it be IRDA compliant? could I run it from my Mac? :) Would you be able to make (...) (23 years ago, 27-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Does anyone know how to modify a train controler?

(...) Sigh, I meant use a SECOND 9 volt Regulator, NOT the same one your controlling the trains with. Geez... (...) Two controllers works just fine. (...) If you mean do I crash trains all the time, sadly yes, but it's not my fault! Dean (23 years ago, 27-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Does anyone know how to modify a train controler?

How many out there are interested in a non-LEGO circuit board that can physically directly replace the one in the LEGO controller? It would provide nice linear pulsed (smooth at slow speeds) speed control. How much would you spend, $20, $40, $60? I (...) (23 years ago, 26-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Does anyone know how to modify a train controler?

(...) And you also have trains all over the floor, if you happen to have just the one controller. Thank you, but I'll take it under advisement :-) The point is that you take off a steady 9V and feed it into a bank of polarity switches. These then (...) (23 years ago, 26-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Black and White Box

All of the Legends and Shop at Home only kits (Sopwith Camel, Statue of Liberty) I've purchased have come in a B&W box. It's my assumption it was done as a cost saver. Robert Powell SCLTC (23 years ago, 26-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 10017 Hopper Wagon - simply a great set

(...) a whole brick taller, and 8 studs longer. It uses the same 24-stud bogey base as the MOT engine, and it's as tall as the top of the MOT engine cab. If you look at the picture, it's tan with a brick-high blue stripe and black tiles around the (...) (23 years ago, 26-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  A RCX Switch Shed

I created a RCX Switch Shed that can be used to control Train Switch Point by legOS or NQC, please check (URL) (23 years ago, 26-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.town, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Does anyone know how to modify a train controler?

(...) I use the standard, unmodified, train controller for technic. Just have it at max power and you have 9 volts. Dean (23 years ago, 26-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

"Jason J. Railton" <j.j.railton@cwcom.net> wrote in message news:GLt490.Lxz@lugnet.com... (...) arrived (...) those (...) [snip] How similar is it to this set? (URL) instructions for it are also available on brickshelf. The 4536 not only included (...) (23 years ago, 26-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  10017 Hopper Wagon - simply a great set

Never mind the Metorliner, my <set:10017> My-Own-Train Hopper Wagon arrived yesterday, and I have to say it is an absolute pleasure to build. It's a return to the classic sets made of bricks, not custom parts. And, for those parts, it's great value. (...) (23 years ago, 26-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Does anyone know how to modify a train controler?

(...) Well, I want to modify mine to output a constant 9V for powering technic motor gadgets (e.g. point motors). I've just got some polarity switches, and I want to fit them on my controller. I've been advised to wire up my own 9V regulator with a (...) (23 years ago, 26-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Does anyone know how to modify a train controler?

My suggestion is to use a RCX and a remote control to control your train, you can lismit highest speed in NQC or legOS program, then your children can use remote control, simpler than regulator. Zhengrong (...) (23 years ago, 26-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Black and White Box

(...) All "legends" sets come in black and white boxes. It is sort of like a classic black and white film thing I guess. Martin (23 years ago, 26-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Black and White Box

I just received the Lego Legends Rail Club Car (Item 10002). The most striking aspect is the box, which is printed in Black & White. Is it normal for this set? Maybe Lego was just in a rush to clear the backlog. Thanks, Andrea (23 years ago, 26-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  heavy cargo series

Excerpted from (URL) it relates to (cargo) train discussion, but I'm mindful of the TOS ---...--- I've also added solid/heavy cargo containers - they're in the trains section. Here's my favorite of the ten - they're all similarly designed/styled. (...) (23 years ago, 25-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Does anyone know how to modify a train controler?

(...) My solution was to add a resistor over them (picture later). Yes the lowest is 2.9V. By adding a resistor over them all makes i affect the higher settings more than the lower ones. This is right for less that 2.9V is not enough for the motor (...) (23 years ago, 25-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Track combos

Hi all, Can someone tell me what were the reference #s of the two 9V track combos that LEGO used to sell? (does TLC still sell them?) TIA, Pedro (23 years ago, 24-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Does anyone know how to modify a train controler?

(...) You are right. I think it's 2.9 volts or there abouts. Anything less and it's too low. Inside is just mis matched resistors. As you turn the knob up it just pulls more of them out of the circuit. Dean (23 years ago, 24-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 10001 & 10002 arrived today

(...) Just to put closure on the thread, my 20002 arrived 6 days after speaking to customer service, and it's AWSOME! VIVA LEGENDS!!! (23 years ago, 24-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Does anyone know how to modify a train controler?

(...) One might think that the settings (based on 9v max) are 1.5, 3, 4.5, 6, 7.5, and 9, but they aren't. I cannot remember where the scale starts on the speed controller, but I think it is around 3V. Below that setting (3V?), there just isn't (...) (23 years ago, 22-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Remote Control Train with legOS

Zhengrong - Nice! I was just talking to someone at work yesterday about creating this type of functionality for my RCX controlled trains. I was going to go through all the hard work you already have and then tell my wife that I NEEDED to buy an RCX (...) (23 years ago, 23-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Tony's passenger train (was: GO-Transit Commuter Rail Car)

(...) Thank you very much- I'm really happy with this train. I did try running the blue all the way across between the doors, but I like this arrangement better. Mileage may vary, of course. I had actually intended to stripe the doors white on the (...) (23 years ago, 23-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Remote Control Train with legOS

I made a short legOS program to use remote control train in smooth speed, you can find it at my homepage. RCX Controlled LEGO Train Projects (URL) (23 years ago, 23-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.trains)

  Re: train track prservation

In lugnet.loc.au, Peter Callaway writes: <snip> In one of the previous threads on track dirtiness that Michael started, he said he lives by the sea. We don't keep a particularly clean house, we get dust and mud all over it, all the time. We have (...) (23 years ago, 23-Oct-01, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Trains.com and LEGO Trains!

(...) You're very welcome. That article's intended to be a survey of the entire secondary market, hopefully I didn't miss anyone. I've been trying to track everyone that's active, and that packratting came in handy. Not sure why it's under "plans" (...) (23 years ago, 23-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact