 Trains / 13772
Re: Gray VS. Black Metroliner Nose
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 09:58:05 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Tim David writes:
In lugnet.trains, Jason J. Railton writes:

<snip>

But please note, I DID say "that's cute" not "that's a big brawny beefy
serious engine you got there" like I would if it was a modern, practical,
economical, easy to maintain sort of engine, like... a diesel.

I'd actually say that WAS a brawny beefy loco (i know thats not what you
mean larry!) I think that british locos (both steam and diesel/electric) are
harder to reproduduce because they have all their pipework etc hidden away,
thus there are less fiddly 'details' that can give a model its character. So
having said that i think you have captured it well, nice one

Tim

Thanks for the compliments, Larry and Tim.  I'll do some more pictures when
I get some time.  I've got a cheap camera, so I need to experiment to get
good lighting.

Tim's right, it's hard to capture the character of trains like this through
little details.  You just have to be very accurate in reproducing the lines
and proportions.  If you look, you'll see the boiler is 5-wide on a 6-wide
train.  This means I've had to SNOT some inverted slopes on the top to get a
few spots with no studs, where I can can centrally mount the funnel and
pressure-dome.  It uses red and black door rails along the boiler for
handrails (some of which had to go in upside-down, though you can't tell),
and yes, it can go round corners!  Note that the Model Team wheel hubs have
had the inner rims shaved off, so it can take points too.  Sorry about that,
but I didn't have much choice for big wheels.

It's now got rounded bricks over the firebox section, instead of it just
being raised, and the whole boiler is a plate higher to make the whole thing
level along the top.  I've taken down the height of the tender slightly,
which required some cunning rebuilds around the LMS lettering.  (Note: all
the yellow lines are plates and tiles end-on.  No stickers or paints used).
Also, where the firebox joins the boiler, I now have some 2x2 concave corner
slopes in there upside-down.

Jason J Railton