 Trains / 13777
Re: Gray VS. Black Metroliner Nose
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 13:39:44 GMT

It can never convert as high a percentage of input energy to
work as an engine operating at higher temperatures (this is a basic fact of
Carnot cycle engines you cannot escape unless you can repeal the laws of
thermodynamics),

I'd take serious challenge to that statement.  The best steam only power plants
are in the 45-47% range of effiency (input to output).  Mind you, they DON"T
MOVE!...

When done correctly, steam has a cycle effiency of ~12% on the rails (I can get
~3% with a 100 lb engine...it gets better as they get bigger...the tests I was
refering to with 614T got to 6%).  That is a cycle to rail %, not just the
engine.

At 6%, fuel costs were lower than that of a diesel...mostly because coal costs
less per BTU than diesel fuel...

James