 Trains / 13776
Re: Mindstorms Automatic Train Control Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 09:59:33 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Dean Husby writes:
I used Reed sensors in the last train show the VLC did. They worked
well.

I had 3 of them in parallel for the trolley track. It would move between
3 stations and stop at each one for a time.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/TFM/ToyTrainShow2001/Mpegs/trolleyclosecall.mpg

Very neat.  I use a reed switch wrapped in heat-shrink tubing, epoxyed to a
2x6 plate with the middle 8 studs removed, and pressed onto the track
lengthwise.  Then, an RCX hidden in a signal box (switching house, or
whatever you call them in the US) controlled a barrier crossing.

Hands up all those at Thames Valley Lego Fest who were waving their hands
over the sensor, or poking it to try and get a response...   :-)

Jason J Railton