 Trains / 13735
Re: Mindstorms Automatic Train Control Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 28 Oct 2001 14:34:06 GMT

Snipped most of James's explanation, I just want to comment on one point

In lugnet.trains, James Powell writes:
In lugnet.trains, David Niemann writes:

I might also >try having a switch track at the end of the line
change direction each time a train enters and leaves that station
(so the train can cross to the other track
at the terminal station). Does this all sound possible?

To control a crossover at each end would take a single output
(fixed) on each end (so, it is perfectly possible to do it with train mounted
RCX's too...which might be better if you want to have 10 stations, and only 4
trains...)

This is overkill. Just use the fact that you can align the switches AGAINST
the incoming subway train and when it reverses, it will cross over to the
other track with no need to actually operate the switches.

Bad ascii art warning (use "raw mode" to see it)

Assume right hand running and a station at each end.

Station        direction of travel on this track <=====      Station
------+----------------------------------------------------+----d---
       \                                                    \
---d----+----------------------------------------------------+------
Station        direction of travel on this track =====>      Station

As the train comes in, it crosses the points which are opposed to it. The
tail track of course needs to be long enough to clear  the entire train. The
sections of track marked d in this 2 station example are never actually
used, they are purely for show as no train will ever reach them, but are
needed to make things look properly double tracked.

Add stations in the middle as you like, only stop go sensors needed as they
never see reversals (but if you want some, add more crossovers with the
points in the same direction)

Division of the track into appropriate blocks is left as an exercise for the
reader but should be straight forward, ask if not clear.

What makes this sucky is the geometry of the points which forces weird
crossovers. But we've all groused about THAT before.