 Trains / 13785
Re: Gray VS. Black Metroliner Nose
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 01:41:46 GMT

and I bet their operating temperature differential is higher, too, being
stationary. That's the only way they can get more theoretical efficiency.
Again, read up on Carnot cycle theory if you want to argue the point. Your
theoretical maximum efficiency is upper bound by this ratio

I can ask, but I believe the info was 1050F x3 reheat stages, and 47.5%
overall.

Yes, they are all governed by Carnot cycle (diesel and steam both...)

Rudolf Diesel knew that. He also knew of gas engine operating temperatures,
and that's why he went with a cycle that injected fuel AFTER compression...

so he could get higher operating temperatures.

Yep.  So did Stirling, who had it even better, since his cycle with regenerator
is even better than Diesel...(and operates at a lower temp...the regenerator
gives a advantage here...since it is Stirling cycle, not Carnot...)

At 6%, fuel costs were lower than that of a diesel...mostly because coal • costs
less per BTU than diesel fuel...

Today. But shifting technology on what may be a temporary differential may
not be prudent, unless you are sure it's going to remain the same or move in
the favorable direction.

Based on known reserves, and current rate of useage, there is ~300 years of
coal left, and ~30 of oil.  Now, if I were a betting man, I think that I would
bet that coal prices are unlikely to rise as fast as oil prices...

James