 Trains / 13781
Re: Gray VS. Black Metroliner Nose
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 14:42:15 GMT

Your
theoretical maximum efficiency is upper bound by this ratio

(operating - ambient)/ambient

if I am remembering right.

I'm not, since that can lead to ratios greater than one which is wrong. It's

(operating - ambient)/operating

which means run in colder climates (absolute zero is ideal if you can find
it... hence heat engines can be quite efficient in shaded locations in
orbit) or increase the operating temp.

Got a detail wrong but the argument stands. Arguing thermodynamics may be
off topic for .trains so feel free to redirect or ask for redirection.