 Trains / 13695
Re: 10017 Hopper Wagon - simply a great set
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 16:08:59 GMT

"Jason J. Railton" <j.j.railton@cwcom.net> wrote...
Never mind the Metorliner, my <set:10017> My-Own-Train Hopper Wagon
arrived yesterday, and I have to say it is an absolute pleasure to build.
It's a return to the classic sets made of bricks, not custom parts. And,
for those parts, it's great value.

In lugnet.trains, Geoffrey Hyde writes:
How similar is it to this set?
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/4536

Well, I don't have one of those but I've seen one around.  For a start, it's
a whole brick taller, and 8 studs longer.  It uses the same 24-stud bogey
base as the MOT engine, and it's as tall as the top of the MOT engine cab.
If you look at the picture, it's tan with a brick-high blue stripe and black
tiles around the top.  It also has uprights at either end, with a minifig
broom and a shovel clipped to opposite ends.

Building instructions for it are also available on brickshelf.  The 4536 not
only included about 16 1x1 rounds for cargo, it also was able to unload them
by use of an ingenious mechanism.  I'm not sure if there was a triggering
mechanism, though, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take much to come up with
one, if there wasn't one.

That 4536 opened up with a fold-down hatch underneath.  The 10017 has four
hatches, two on each side.  A flap made of technic pieces hangs down over
the hatch.  One end of the pivot is an axle, the other is a friction peg.
There's a technic bracket on the end of the axle that you can turn to open
each hatch.  The friction holds it open or closed.  Slopes in the base
divert the load to whichever side is open.

Because of the need for the friction peg, to keep the hatches closed, an
automatic release mechanism might be difficult - more likely to lift the
wagon off the track than open the hatch.

Jason J Railton