 Trains / 13691
13690  |  13692
Subject:
10017 Hopper Wagon - simply a great set
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 09:41:24 GMT

Never mind the Metorliner, my <set:10017> My-Own-Train Hopper Wagon arrived
yesterday, and I have to say it is an absolute pleasure to build. It's a
return to the classic sets made of bricks, not custom parts. And, for those
parts, it's great value.

As you put it together, you're constantly and pleasantly surprised by the
parts in the box: eight tan 1x1 bricks; thirty tan 2x2 slopes, another 14
inverted; eight tan 2x2 corner bricks, which I suppose us big kids accept as
proper bricks now :-) ; even the four blue 1x3s are a welcome change from
large single-purpose moulds. Putting it together is no trouble, as the
inverted ends of the hopper stay rigid even as you push more inverted slopes
onto the top. The only slightly wobbly moment is when you have to press 1x8
tiles onto the tops of the slopes, several of which are actually overhanging
the body of the hopper.

A variety of black parts make for that great "can't be a missing piece..."
feeling as you poke around for another bit that's right in front of you
[re-affirm your faith in Lego today!].

Finally, the order of the instructions are neat. You do the wheelbases
last, so even as you're putting (what you think are :-) the finishing
touches to the hopper, you've still got a good pile of pieces to go.

Presumably giving all 2x2 slopes rather than some 2x4s simplifies the
inventory and keeps the cost down. At least it didn't resort to 2x8s. I'm
unsure as to why there are 3x2 black slopes in the base though. Since
they're all used in pairs, I wonder why 3x4s (already produced for the MOT
Engine roof) weren't used...? Still, I'm not complaining. Another point to
ponder is the blue ridges atop the black slopes at the very bottom. Why not
all black? Still, it's a bit of variety. And the blue stripe around the
top is easily customisable from other parts in your collection.

The only thing that seems odd to me is the height. At six bricks and two
studs on top of a double-plate it's quite tall. In the UK, I've not seen
full-height hoppers like this, though I suppose they're around. I build my
trains to the height of the box wagons in <set:4563> et al, which are six
studs on a double-plate, or 6,1 on a regular plate. Admittedly, the engine
in that set is another plate taller, and the tile on top of the MOT engine
cab is the same height as the hopper wagon - even though it doesn't look all
that big.

Also, there are only eleven dark-grey 1x1 rounds (plus the obligatory spare
technic half peg) for cargo - it's hardly going to fill it. Still, the
overall price is good, so I can't complain too much about that.

I just wanted to say thank-you to Lego Direct for producing a good looking
set that's a joy to build, takes Lego Trains a bit further, and provides a
great set of parts for other models.

To the train-heads out there, I have a challenge. Best alternate from a
single MOT set. Instead of going for the biggest and longest creation you
can, do something for everyone to try...

Jason J Railton

P.S. - I just took it apart to try some alternates (you can make a
half-decent short wagon base for a start), then re-assembled the original
completely from memory.  I surprised myself with that, but it seems such a
logical construction you hardly need the instructions once you've seen it
done once.