 Trains / 13690
Re: Does anyone know how to modify a train controler?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 09:34:31 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Sonnich Jensen writes:
My solution was to add a resistor over them (picture later).

Yes the lowest is 2.9V. By adding a resistor over them all makes i affect
the higher settings more than the lower ones. This is right for less that
2.9V is not enough for the motor to move.

And there is no danger by supplying 12V or more, unless the regulator is
modifyed it can NEVER give more than 9V. So one can not speed up the trains
this way.

By using another transformer it should be considered that there is a loss in
the regulator, I don't the datasheets for the LM317 handy, but guessing that
1.2 volts is lost in the controller.

Also it depends a lot whether it is AC or DC.
The regulator says that it needs 9-10V AC which is some 13-14V DC. So if
ones transformer says 9VAC it makes no difference as it is 13V DC and a
stepdown of 1.2V is 11.8V so it can still supply the full 9V.
9VDC would make maximim app. 7.8V. But it would also make it so, that the
last steps will be the same.
Therefore a resistor still uses the full adjustment possible.

See you in 2 weeks
Sonnich

Well, I want to modify mine to output a constant 9V for powering technic
motor gadgets (e.g. point motors).  I've just got some polarity switches,
and I want to fit them on my controller.

I've been advised to wire up my own 9V regulator with a heatsink - I'll let
you know if it works.

Jason J Railton