 Trains / 13658
Re: Does anyone know how to modify a train controler?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 07:44:35 GMT

I've also used this solution for some switching setups, and found it quite
useful. I can answer some questions, but the cost is that I'll ask a new one.

No explosions, the motors work fine at 12v. I've even taken one up to 14v with
no ill effects, but I'm sure that continued usage would severely shorten the
life of the motor. And yes, the 12v setting will power the 12v light bricks
(as will the 9v), but in either case, you gotta find a way to make the
connectors compatible. The easiest way, I think, is to get a 12v wire, unscrew
the connectors, and separate them from the wire. Then take a 9v wire, cut it
in half, strip and tin the ends, and screw them into the 12v connectors. Now
you have two 9v to 12v connectors. Seems to work great!

So here's my question: When I set the switch on the multi-voltage unit to
7.5v, the LEGO speed regulator seems to only have about 3 speed settings, the
fastest of which is about half speed, and the slowest of which isn't really
even strong enough to overcome friction in the motor. So, electronics experts,
how come 7.5v doesn't give me 9 gradients of speed that are ~20% slower than
9v (7.5 ~=~ 80% of 9) ?

Thanks in advance!

Rick C.

Andreas Stabno wrote:

In lugnet.trains, David Graham writes:
By one from any electrical store - get one with 1.5volt settings, 1.5, 3,
4.5, 6, 7.5, 9, 11.5 & 12v settings.  Then just change the setting to what
you require.
I do this as I have my trains at exhibitions and let the children opperate
them and I don't want to spent my time re-railing the trains.

David,

What a nice solution!  Just as a precaution, would my motors blow up if the
setting was accidentally switched to 12 volt?  And as a follow-up question,
could the 12 volt setting in theory be used to power the old 12 volt
lighting bricks?

Electrify well,

Andreas Stabno
http://www.lugnet.com/~19/