 Local / Australia / 7557
Re: train track prservation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 12:58:36 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Peter Callaway writes:

<snip>

In one of the previous threads on track dirtiness that Michael started, he
said he lives by the sea.

We don't keep a particularly clean house, we get dust and mud all over it,
all the time. We have damp in the basement, we have must and mold in some
places (and it's ruining other things in my collection like boxes) we have 4
cats and the attendant cathair dustbunnies. Yet I don't have this track
dirtiness problem, and some of my track is now going on 4 years old (yes,
some people have much older track). However I also do not live anywhere near
salt air.

The ONLY truly dirty track I have ever seen was when Chris Leach showed me
some. His kids actually had taken it outside to play with it in the mud. But
it cleaned up well with soap and water. *That's* what my mud comment
referred to.

THIS dirt that Michael refers to seems to be of a different nature than mud.
Hence my question, does he have trouble keeping other sorts of stainless
clean? "Stainless" isn't anywhere near truly *impossible* to stain, it does
get corrosion and dirt under certain circumstances. There are a lot of
different types of stainless, though. It seems to get dirty faster in
certain environments than others.

I am no metallurgist but if it's possible to narrow down why it's getting
dirty maybe it's possible to prevent it. That usually is less work in the
long run than repeated cleaning.

I do not know why this topic went unremarked in .trains before, it certainly
is a valid and interesting topic for that group. I've XFUT there. Maybe now
with a little more info something can be determined.

On Ross's suggestion about mineral spirits (Isopropyl alcohol, I think some
know it as)... be careful not to get that on rubber parts (12V gray wheel
rings, the little black O rings on 9V) as I think it has a tendency to
accelerate perishing of the rubber.

Now now! I Think Benjamin was referring to someone sniping about the "p"
word rather than Larry's light-hearted comment about mud and cleanliness.

It wasn't meant to be either a light hearted jest, OR an attack. Merely an
inquiry. Ignore any trouble Scott is trying to cause here, please, and stay
focused on the topics if you would. I seriously wanted to know if M had
trouble keeping other sorts of stainless clean.

++Lar