 Technic / *13101 (-100)
  Re: Alternate 8458 MOC: Sportscar with instructions

(...) Ok I think it's better to have this topic in lugnet.build. So again...Hope you enjoy! Nathanael (21 years ago, 2-Jul-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Hailfire Powered by Manas?

Purple Dave's utterance expressed in news:HHDCI2.1ooq@lugnet.com: (...) Yeah - they have also been on clearance at s@h here in Danmark. (...) I use a remote control to steer it around. Right now I'm playing around with the RC Buggy motors to control (...) (21 years ago, 2-Jul-03, to lugnet.technic.bionicle, lugnet.starwars)

  Re: custom aluminum axle

actually chains are terrible at this... the only reason i can get away with a chain in the drive system is because it is on the motor side of the worm gear. Your right about the hydraulics, and ig I owned the correct ones, i'd consider it. This (...) (21 years ago, 2-Jul-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Need Help Setting up Apache Web Server

(...) documentation. (...) This is done by services like dyndns as people have explained. Probably your "gotdns.com" does this too, but I'm not familiar with them. [ -> .off-topic.geek ] (21 years ago, 2-Jul-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.general, lugnet.publish, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Need Help Setting up Apache Web Server

(...) Probably best to ask at dyndns as they provide this functionality. ROSCO (21 years ago, 2-Jul-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.general, lugnet.publish, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: custom aluminum axle

Hmm. Most of the rides I've seen like that use hydraulics to rotate them into position - not a system of gears. My second choice would be some kind of chain drive to lift and lower - this would eliminate torque on the pivot bar. Something to (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Hailfire Powered by Manas?

(...) I guess that truly answers the original question, though the Manas drive unit is a lot cheaper to get right now, if you live near a TRU that's doing the blow-out sales at least ($30 for two) Now the question is, does your RCX Hailfire have a (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.technic.bionicle, lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Water Tank in 8454?

(...) The overall volume remains the same. What is the best ratio for space given to water and space given to air? Just make sure there is enough space provided for compressed air which is the propellent. Although, having a tank for water and a (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: New MOC: DYAD

Awesome! Very cool! I can't wait for the movie! I don't really remember Znap much, but excellent use of the Znap parts. I never would have thought that something like this was even possible with LEGO, but you have proven me wrong. Max (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: Need Help Setting up Apache Web Server

(...) I am pretty sure that this question has been answered for you twice now -- you need a service that tracks the dynamic IP, catches requests for your domain, and then redirects those requests to the dynamic IP and hence to your server. I think (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.general, lugnet.publish, lugnet.robotics, FTX)

  Re: Need Help Setting up Apache Web Server

(...) So I guess my problems are the fact I have a dynamic IP address, and a router which has a public IP address outside, but a private IP address inside the router. The Apache server is located on private IP address, so anyone outside my network (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.general, lugnet.publish, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A better full adder!

(...) Nope.... I was pretty sure you were not done. Neither am I. I'm just grateful for what you've done so far. It was pretty lonely there for a while in pneumatic computing land. I'm happy for the company and the inventiveness. (...) I ordered an (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A better full adder!

(...) Like I'm done? Just wait til I get my hands on some real ones... :) >> Mark (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A better full adder!

(...) Yes. Thanks. I'll have to try some of my own designs to really comprehend it. I learn by doing (and failing ;^). (...) Kevin (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A better full adder!

(...) Not sure if there's an algorithm, per se... but here's how I do it. Conceptually, I think of the backwards switch arrangement as an XOR gate. Input (from the output valves) will only be accepted from either the top or bottom valve. In general, (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Need Help Setting up Apache Web Server

Does anyone know where I can find a tutorial to walk me through installing/setting up the Apache server on my Windows PC? Or can someone walk me through this via e-mail? I run Windows XP, and connect through a Linksys router to the internet with a (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.general, lugnet.publish, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A better full adder!

(...) Geat job Mark! I started out with a 14 piston, seven switch full adder, and by piggybacking off each others ideas, you've gotten us down to 2 pistons and a handfull of switches. Absolutely amazing! Unless I come up with some revolutionary (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A better full adder!

(...) No offense was taken. My appologies if I gave that impression. I just completed some load testing on the compressing piston. It easily switched 2 switches, was just barely able to switch 3 switches, and clearly couldn't do 4 switches. Since (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Hailfire Powered by Manas?

Joseph A. O'Donnell's utterance expressed in news:HHCMxM.20pt@lugnet.com: (...) I have powered mine with two ordinary gear motors and mounted an RCX underneath the "body" of the hailfire. With a remote control, the hailfire can now be driven in (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.technic.bionicle, lugnet.starwars)

  Re: A better full adder!

(...) I wasn't trying to imply that you hadn't actually tried it... I was only suggesting that I didn't think that pistons being driven solely by the compression of air created by the expanding of other pistons would be strong enough to compress (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A better full adder!

(...) I've alway found low level circuit design interesting. Using pneumatics and LEGO pieces to create them seems like a good challenge. I have some ideas that might turn into workable designs. (...) I've tested it, and it does work. I don't know (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Hailfire Powered by Manas?

(...) I have a "Yes". Now off to buy the Hailfire. If anyone has additional thoughts on getting this hybred running let me know. Joseph (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.technic.bionicle, lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Hailfire Powered by Manas?

(...) Um *evil grin* yes! Actually, I have no idea how feasible it is. You'd need to use the drive links on the side of the Manas drive unit (they rotate faster than the front/back drive links), and you'd need to put a medium-to-large gear between (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.technic.bionicle, lugnet.starwars)

  Re: custom aluminum axle

i tell you what... after about 2 hours of continuous running tonight, i couldn't see and visible damage to the bricks. Its polished rather nicely and feels like its about the same smoothness of an actual tech axle. In my application there appear to (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: A better full adder!

(...) I think the idea here is that they are mutually exclusive - only one will be expanded at any one time, so when a different one is expanded, it effectively only has to retract one other - the one that was previously expanded. ROSCO (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: custom aluminum axle

(...) Hmmmm it would certainly solve the problem of bending in my all-terrain crane... But if used as a rotating axle, my guess is it would damage the holes it ran in pretty quick unless they're re-inforced. I seem to recall John Barnes fiddled with (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: New Web Site Launch

(...) Your router is what is confusing you. It's probably not merely a router, but one of those fancy little internet gateway boxes from Linksys or Dlink or someone. Not only do they act as routers, but they also do something called Network Address (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Hailfire Powered by Manas?

Is a Manas-powered Hailfire a feasible project? If someone says "Yes"...I guess we all know where my next $50 goes! Joseph (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.technic.bionicle, lugnet.starwars)

  Re: A better full adder!

(...) Egad! Another madman joins the fray! ;) (...) Am I misunderstanding you or are you suggesting that the pressure created by the expansion of one piston would actually be sufficient to compress *TWO* others? Unless the pistons had no loads at (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: custom aluminum axle

(...) Excellent. Just the thing my brother will probably need for a very similar application. I could probably find a use for a few myself. Allister (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: A better full adder!

(...) While working with Mark's full adder design, the XOR gate in particular, I found something which may be useful in some pneumatic constructions. In Mark's fulladder (URL) just the XOR gate (the 3 switches on the piston on the right). There are (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  custom aluminum axle

Hey guys, After running my roundup ride all day at the roadshow preview at Lego headquarters last weekend, it bacame apprent that an entire days worth of torquing the main technic axle is too much for the abs plastic which looked somewhat like a (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.general)

  Re: Water Tank in 8454?

(...) If you can fit two tanks in there, how about putting water in both, pressurizing them both, and combine them in a single T right at the base of the water cannon? (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Water Tank in 8454?

(...) The more water you put in, the less air you have capacity for. If you make sure that you don't fill more than 1/4 of your total air capacity with water, you might be able to blow the entire load with one charge. The downside is you'd need to (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Water Tank in 8454?

(...) Depends on how you want to do things. While the large SuperSoaker squirtguns use small air-tanks to supplement the pressure in the water tank, the smaller ones combine the air and water in the same tank. This sounds like it will be even (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Water Tank in 8454?

(...) It's hard to say. It's a proven fact that some Toy Fair sample models don't reflect final designs, and some aren't constructed correctly (I once saw Jango's Slave I with the wings mounted backwards), so it's possible that both doors are (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Water Tank in 8454?

(...) Hi, Without trying it I think it will be hard to get a good jet of water because your hoses will be constricted on the way at each 'T' & port, and the end of your hose will be the same constriction or wider. I would think that you will need to (...) (21 years ago, 30-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: New Web Site Launch

(...) Well, any idea where I went wrong? I'm using Windows XP, Apache Web Server, and the domain name focusrs.gotdns.com from (URL) I connect to the internet with cable internet through a router. I thought I finally had my Apache web server working (...) (21 years ago, 30-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Water Tank in 8454?

I'm thinking that if you mount the tank vertically, and use the top hose for air input - and then use the bottom hose for water - then you shouldn't have too much problem with back-flow - as long as you are careful not to overfill the tank (maybe (...) (21 years ago, 30-Jun-03, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.technic)

  Re: New Web Site Launch

(...) no - that will never work. Any IP that starts with 192.168.x.x cannot be accessed via the internet. (21 years ago, 30-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: New Web Site Launch

(...) Until I figure out what's wrong, try (URL) this page>. Click the link, and everything should show up normally. Max (21 years ago, 30-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: New Web Site Launch

Will not load! (21 years ago, 30-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: New Web Site Launch

(...) Possibly. What's the site? That part didn't get cross-posted. [ -> .off-topic.geek ] (21 years ago, 30-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: New Web Site Launch

(...) Hmmm. It should work by typing in the domain name. But I know that it doesn't work on my computer unless I type in the IP address, since I'm behind a router. But I thought (after reading LOTS of documentation to back me up) that since the (...) (21 years ago, 30-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: New Web Site Launch

For me it reads: "The page cannot be displayed" Duq "Max Maxwell" <r34_v@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:HHB7ut.5JI@lugnet.com... (...) go (...) goes (...) just (...) should (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.technic)

  New Web Site Launch

Hello all! I am just announcing that my LEGO-oriented website is about to go online within the next week. It will only be a couple of pages when it goes online, but I am hoping that it will be many more - someday. However, I just need someone to (...) (21 years ago, 30-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Water Tank in 8454?

(...) place to (...) as much (...) I have a Technic Air tank and from the pictures I've seen of the 8454 it should fit in there. But dont you need two? One for air and one for water?? (...) Technic (...) Off-Roader). I (...) into an (...) instead (...) (21 years ago, 30-Jun-03, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.technic)

  LEGO Make and Create Roadshow in Dallas, Texas Pictures

I've posted the pictures I took at the LEGO Make and Create Roadshow in Dallas, Texas this past weekend, where TEXLUG and MSLTC teamed up. We had a lot of fun, and we have a lot of stories to tell, like MOC accidents and theft of property at the (...) (21 years ago, 30-Jun-03, to lugnet.org.us.texlug, lugnet.general, lugnet.castle, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.loc.us.tx, lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org.msltc)

  Re: Water Tank in 8454?

And right behind the cab are two opposing doors with some (...) Oh that is weird. When I looked at the Technic site at www.lego.com/technic, it showed that both side doors could be opened at the same time, or was it an error? Oh so that is the (...) (21 years ago, 30-Jun-03, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Alternate 8458 MOC: Sportscar with instructions

(...) Ok it's back online! Hope you enjoy... Nathanael (21 years ago, 30-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic)

  YogiCub Rover

Hi all, With BrickVista up and running smoothly, (fixing the odd link, and typo here and there) I thought I would tell you about the first LEGO creation on the site - YogiCub YogiCub is a LEGO Rover powered by a Mindstorms 2.0 RCX. YogiCub (...) (21 years ago, 30-Jun-03, to lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.cad, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Alternate 8458 MOC: Sportscar with instructions

(...) Sorry but the link is not available at the moment. Hope things are back again soon. I'll let you know when things are available again. Again sorry for the inconvenience. Nathanael Kuipers (21 years ago, 30-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: BrickVista web site launch

(...) Thanks Tommy – great to get some feedback, I will keep you posted of any additions to BrickVista. Cheers Tom Beattie (21 years ago, 30-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: BrickVista web site launch

(...) Thanks Rob. If I remember rightly it was stumbling across your 4x4 articulated Rover which sparked my interest in developing a LEGO Rover. I liked the way you mechanically ‘articulated’ wheel position to mimic the type of movement found in (...) (21 years ago, 30-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Water Tank in 8454?

(...) It's also kinda tiny. I think the whole thing was maybe 16" long, 6" wide, and 5" tall. I don't have any pneumatic reservoir tanks, so I don't know how small they are, but I think you've only got a couple of vertical inches to work with, and (...) (21 years ago, 29-Jun-03, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Water Tank in 8454?

(...) Really? Well I saw some of the picture and basically the whole truck is empty, so I don't think taking out the engine would be necessary and as for the steering mechanism....well I have to buy the model to actually see how it is and how much (...) (21 years ago, 29-Jun-03, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.technic)

  Re: BrickVista web site launch

(...) Good job! You have put together an excellent site. The renderings are beautiful and you have provided a lot of technical information. I like how you showed your inspirations in a side bar. Thanks for the links to my page. Since I have (...) (21 years ago, 29-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Water Tank in 8454?

(...) Going off of what little I remember from seeing this model over four months ago, I believe the back half of it can be emptied out fairly well if you're willing to strip out the engine. You might also need to disable a fair amount of the (...) (21 years ago, 29-Jun-03, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.technic)

  Water Tank in 8454?

I was thinking, could a water tank be placed inside 8454 Rescue Truck? You know, like place a plastic tank and a Lego Technic air tank to help the water shoot through the cannon on top of the truck with pressure? Has anyone tried or thought of this? (...) (21 years ago, 29-Jun-03, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.technic)

  Re: BrickVista web site launch

(...) Well designed site Tom! I'm all about minimalist interfaces, and yours manages to be minimal WITH a lot of style. Nice and clean design, with little clever uses of bricks here and there. Oh yeah, and I would be remiss if I didn't mention that (...) (21 years ago, 29-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic)

  BrickVista web site launch

Hello All, Just a short note to announce the launch of my LEGO orientated site – BrickVista (URL) finally finished (A few days earlier than expected) After 4 months in development, and what started out as a ‘couple of pages’, BrickVista is launched. (...) (21 years ago, 29-Jun-03, to lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build, lugnet.cad, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.space, lugnet.technic) !!

  Re: Alternate 8458 MOC: Sportscar with instructions

Thanks Nathanael! (21 years ago, 29-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: A better full adder!

(...) Oops... after rereading what I wrote, I see made a typo there, and I can see how it could be very, very confusing. What I meant to say was that the bottommost switch on the left piston will already be down to receive A & _C_, which is high and (...) (21 years ago, 28-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Alternate 8458 MOC: Sportscar with instructions

Hi! After a long time I've finally finished the instructions of my alternate model from the 8458 Silver Champion. So if you have a Silver Champion and maybe have seen the official models long enough, you may want to build this Sportscar. The (...) (21 years ago, 28-Jun-03, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build, lugnet.cad, lugnet.technic)

  Re: LEGO design patterns... you know, there's a book in that, I'm sure of it!

(...) =8D Here it is: (URL) (21 years ago, 28-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Chameleobot the Quadruped: 4 and 1/2 foot MOC

Chameleobot the Quadruped is a Mindstorms creation that is a bit bigger than your average quadruped. It is 4 and 1/2 feet long and uses 2 RCX's, 6 motors, 4 touch sensors, a light sensor, and a host of gears among some of the things. Chameleobot is (...) (21 years ago, 28-Jun-03, to lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.cad, lugnet.technic)

  Re: A better full adder!

(...) Thanks. Here's how it works: Consider only the right piston for a moment. The output of this subsystem (which will be driving the left piston) is simply (A&~C)|(~A&C), which is an XOR operator, or a half-adder. So what drives the left piston (...) (21 years ago, 28-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A better full adder!

(...) Very impressive! Two pistons! (...) Well, I can eliminate one switch on the Cin/A/NOT A piston. You don't need to throw the switches the full range do you? You can get the release from A/NOT A, and have to have it come from the local switches, (...) (21 years ago, 28-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A better full adder!

Okay, Kevin... you talked me into trying this inverted logic thingamy. (I'm just too competitive for my own good...) How's this? (URL) A and NOT A, B and NOT B, and Carry in as inputs and produces A+B+C, NOT A+B+C, and Carry Out as outputs. I saw no (...) (21 years ago, 28-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A better full adder!

Kevin L. Clague wrote: > [ more brilliant stuff ] >> Stick a fork in me... I'm done. > (...) Thanks. I try. :) Actually, I do have a few more ideas I've been toying around with in my brain, but I think I'm about as done with this as I'm going to be (...) (21 years ago, 28-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: LEGO design patterns... you know, there's a book in that, I'm sure of it!

(...) further feedback. Isn't there already a category there for building techniques? Perhaps with some additional sub-categories, it could be fairly easy to get the ball rolling. (...) You have an extremely good point there. I already have a LUGNET (...) (21 years ago, 28-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.inst)

  Re: A better full adder!

(...) Ahh... you are stuck in single pressure line mindset. The modern LEGO pneumatic pistons are dual ported where pressure into the port at the base makes it expand, and pressure into the port at the top makes it contract (presuming of course that (...) (21 years ago, 28-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Announcing new Lego website: The Art of Brick

There is a certain art to certain things. There is an art to painting, an art to cooking, yes, even an art to driving. But, did you know that there just might be an art to brick? No, I’m not talking about those heavy blocks that spiders like to hide (...) (21 years ago, 27-Jun-03, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.cad, lugnet.announce, lugnet.technic, lugnet.build)

  Re: LEGO design patterns... you know, there's a book in that, I'm sure of it!

(...) wasn't robotics specific? One that covers SNOT designs, and other general building techniques; edifice construction, including roofing and multiple floors; building large sculptures out of LEGO; focus on some of the more interesting LEGO (...) (21 years ago, 27-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: LEGO design patterns... you know, there's a book in that, I'm sure of it!

(...) A LEGO Robotics Wiki exists see: (URL) (21 years ago, 27-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: A better full adder!

(...) Not sure what you mean. If an output isn't producing any airflow, how do you invert that? BTW, I've been wracking my brains on this for several hours now, I can't figger out how you possibly could have built a full adder with only 3 pistons (...) (21 years ago, 27-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: LEGO design patterns... you know, there's a book in that, I'm sure of it!

(...) Hi all, What about using the ample and growing infrastructure provided by the Brick Instruction Portal for this project? (URL) a builder who takes the time to fully document my MOCs for some of the reasons mentioned in this thread. However, (...) (21 years ago, 27-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: LEGO design patterns... you know, there's a book in that, I'm sure of it!

(...) That sounds rather overengineered to me. Why not make a Wiki like the software patterns people do? Jürgen (21 years ago, 27-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: YAPNQ II

(...) Okay... so no exhaust from the switch's inaccessible exhaust port. That's what I needed to know. I've never exploited the center position in any design I've done so far primarily because I wasn't sure what would happen. >> Mark (21 years ago, 27-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: YAPNQ II

(...) All three ports are blocked. (...) Kevin (21 years ago, 27-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: YAPNQ II

Mark Tarrabain's utterance expressed in news:HH4J8v.20Aw@lugnet.com: (...) Absolutely nothing happens.. the switch is made of two pieces - one which is the grey case - the other is a piece with a hole just big enough to fit over the center hole and (...) (21 years ago, 27-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: A better full adder!

(...) Yes. B and NOT B into the mux formed by two switches that are arranged to never release. (...) But with LEGO pneumatics you can typically get it for free. (...) Yes. When I wrote my post up yesterday I'd forgotten that I needed NOT B as an (...) (21 years ago, 27-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  YAPNQ II

(Still designing, even without any pneumatics... what can I say, I'm a sucker for theory) When a pneumatic switch is in the center position, What happens if you pump air into either of the side valves? What happens if you pump air into the center (...) (21 years ago, 27-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Lego Links

Lego Links now has 275 categorized creations with working picture links in 22 categories. As you view the website you will notice that some categories have more creations than others. I started collecting links to gain inspiration for certain (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: LEGO design patterns... you know, there's a book in that, I'm sure of it!

(...) Excellent example. Yes, it was really the organizational aspect that I was thinking of. This is partly a facet of the GUI... in how the user navigates to the data, how it is presented etc. But on second thought, it's also a data (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: LEGO design patterns... you know, there's a book in that, I'm sure of it!

Hello, let me reply to a number of related postings at once here ... (...) Not being exactly the GUI expert you may have envisioned, I think the GUI would need to offer sensible categories and potentially more powerful mechanisms to really find the (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: A better full adder!

(...) Ah... it took me a while to figure out what you were doing, but I see now... (reviewing your pics) If your inputs to the XOR were A and B, you use A to drive the piston, and require the presence of both B and NOT B to make the piston move. I (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A better full adder!

(...) AND takes 1 piston + 1 switch using your design. XOR takes 1 piston + 2 switches using my design. OR takes 1 piston + 2 switches using my design. But AND and XOR can be done using the same piston, so 1 piston + 3 switches gets you a half (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A better full adder!

(...) Finally I can compete again! ;^) I can do a half adder with 1 piston and seven switches, plus you get dual polarity pressure. Three switches for AND and four for XOR. This says that I can do single pressure logic line with one piston and three (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A better full adder!

(...) It sure is. Thanks. Using the same pattern (setting up specific switches "backwards"), I can do a half adder with two pistons and 4 switches (2 switches on each piston). Again, no need for inter-piston bracing, just the requirement that a (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A better full adder!

(...) Kevin (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  what parts are left over after building 8448 gull wing?

Trying to sort out all the parts that should be in a 8448 supercar set. I have built the gull wing version. What parts should I have left over, if any, that are needed to build any of the other versions? (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Mechanical Memory for Computing

(...) Actually a byte is whatever you define it to be - a nibble is generally half a byte, and a word is generally 2 bytes. I haven't seen a machine using 4 bit bytes, but I've seen 8, 16, 32 and 64. And I'm sure there are other weird ones floating (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Mechanical Memory for Computing

Very cool design. (...) Question: Why are you calling 4 bits a byte? 4 bits is a nibble, while 8 bits would be a byte. Obviously the design can be extended to 8 bits like you mentioned. They you would have your byte. Michael (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build)

  Re: A better full adder!

Hey, that's great! Now it's nice and symmetrical with 3 columns of 4 switches... something satisfying about that. :-) Now, all I need is 4 more switches and I can build it! Cheers, Mark (R) (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  A better full adder!

I realized this afternoon that I could cull a switch from my earlier design. It's now down to 12 switches from 13. 4 switches ganged onto each piston. The wiring schematic is here: (URL) on how to interpret the diagram can be found in an earlier (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Mechanical Memory for Computing

(...) About half-way down this page (URL) is a diagram and short discussion of a possible design for molecular level RAM. The diagram shows 2 memory cells of 2 bits each and the mechanism to select which memory cell is being read/written. In my LEGO (...) (21 years ago, 25-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build)

  Re: Mechanical Memory for Computing

(...) <SNIP> (...) Do you happen to have any links to the molecular RAM design you are referencing? It would be very cool to compare and contrast your excellent model with the "real world" counterpart. Jona (21 years ago, 25-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build)

  Re: Mechanical Memory for Computing

(...) I concur. It's only a matter of time now before someone figures out how to build Babbage's Difference Engine from Lego. Becky (21 years ago, 25-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Mechanical Memory for Computing

Brilliant! Positively brilliant! >> Mark (21 years ago, 25-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact