 Technic / 10869
Re: Water Tank in 8454?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 23:25:07 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Neb Okla wrote:
I'm thinking that if you mount the tank vertically, and use the top hose for
air input - and then use the bottom hose for water - then you shouldn't have
too much problem with back-flow - as long as you are careful not to overfill
the tank (maybe use a measuring cup to measure it's capacity, then decrease
that by 1/4 and only add the remaining amount each time to be safe).

Then, as long as the nozzle of the hose is above the tank, no water should
come out.  The hose may be pretty long though, and you may need to pump
several times before water starts to flow.  It might also be good to include
a pneumatic valve.

The coolest system would involve two tanks, connected serially - one full of
water and one filled with pressurized air (separated by a valve).

Then you could fill the lower tank, pressurize the air tank, then flip the
switch and the air will force a bunch of water out.

Hi,
Without trying it I think it will be hard to get a good jet of water because
your hoses will be constricted on the way at each 'T' & port, and the end of
your hose will be the same constriction or wider.  I would think that you will
need to come up with a way to make the end of your hose nozzle the narrowest
part of the entire flow.  Anyway here is an idea to help keep you from over
filling your tank.  It may not be viewable yet but I suggest having a peice of
clear tube beside the water tank to be used as a sight glass.  Also as your air
should come into the top of your water tank, that same tube should take air from
the bottom of the air tank so that if there is any back pressure water will only
enter the tank first.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Paul-Dieter/Pneumatic-helicopter/sprayer3.jpg
Regards,
Paul