 Technic / 10870
Re: Water Tank in 8454?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 01:15:52 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Steve Moldovanu wrote:
    Oh that is weird. When I looked at the Technic site at
www.lego.com/technic, it showed that both side doors could be opened at the >same time, or was it an error?

     It's hard to say.  It's a proven fact that some Toy Fair sample models
don't reflect final designs, and some aren't constructed correctly (I once saw
Jango's Slave I with the wings mounted backwards), so it's possible that both
doors are supposed to be able to open at the same time.  All I know for sure is
that the model they had on display had some little slider bar that would lock
one door down while allowing the other door to open.  There's no reason why it
couldn't be modified to allow both to open, even if that's not how the final
design works.

Oh so that is the purpose of the 1st knob. I thought the 1st knob controlled
the front steering and the back knob controlled the rear steering.

     No, I know the front knob controls the water cannon (you can even look at
photos and see that it's tilted in different directions), and I'm pretty sure
the back knob controls all six steerable wheels at the same time.  I didn't have
a lot of time to check out ever last detail, so I could be misremembering the
steering issue, but not the water cannon control.

The easiest place to put a tank would be right in the middle sicne that is
also the place where the side doors open.

     The door mechanisms probably use up a little bit of space, so if you're set
on using two tanks, you might have to hard-mount the two doors to eliminate any
additional interior mechanisms, or you might need to look for a different place
to mount the second tank.

I don't want to make this project too complicated since I am new at Technic

     Hey, go all out on it.  The worst thing that can happen is you'll fail
miserably and never touch a brick again.  The second worst thing that can happen
is you'll succeed magnificantly and a year from now you'll be broke.

I was thinking of other projects like how to turn the Extreme Off-Roader into
an RC Truck using the base from the RC Race Buggy

     That I can't help you with because I didn't really pay any attention to the
RC buggy, so I have no idea how it's put together.

and to place an air tank instead of the engine for the back-hoe but this
project can't be done since the pneumatic pack from Shop@Home is not
available anymore.

     So buy the parts from Bricklink.