 Technic / 10888
Re: A better full adder!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 20:20:03 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Mark Tarrabain wrote:
Kevin L. Clague wrote:
If you have an algorithm for using the switches the way you do without running
into accidental release problems, I'd be very interested in how you do it.

Not sure if there's an algorithm, per se... but here's how I do it.

Conceptually, I think of the backwards switch arrangement as an XOR
gate.  Input (from the output valves) will only be accepted from either
the top or bottom valve.  In general, the way I avoid accidental release
problems is by only hooking up bottom valves to bottom valves and top
valves to top valves on switches on the same piston.   Since all the
switches are flipped in unison, any pressure that exists at either side
will only propogate to the same side of switches elsewhere, and the
output will come out the switch's normal entry valve.

To do inter-piston switch configurations, as I do in the full adder, I
exploited the fact that that positive pressure will never simultaneously
exist in A XOR Cin and A&Cin, so if I used A XOR Cin to drive the left
piston, I could safely run A&Cin through a lower valve on a switch
connected to that piston.

Does that make any sense?

Yes.  Thanks.  I'll have to try some of my own designs to really comprehend it.
I learn by doing (and failing ;^).

Mark

Kevin