 Technic / 10838
Re: A better full adder!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 28 Jun 2003 12:50:11 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Mark Tarrabain wrote:
Okay, Kevin... you talked me into trying this inverted logic thingamy.

(I'm just too competitive for my own good...)

How's this?

Very impressive!  Two pistons!

http://www.members.shaw.ca/markt1964/fulladder3.jpg

Well, I'm not competative. Hah!  I'm ahead on not being competative! LOL!

Takes A and NOT A, B and NOT B, and Carry in as inputs and produces
A+B+C, NOT A+B+C, and Carry Out as outputs.  I saw no need to produce a
carry complement output since the adder does not require a carry
complement input.  The general idea being that one would chain instances
of these together to make a full adder as many bits wide as desired.

Well, I can eliminate one switch on the Cin/A/NOT A piston.  You don't need to
throw the switches the full range do you?  You can get the release from A/NOT A,
and have to have it come from the local switches, right?  So you can replace
three switches with one of my 2 switch muxes.  Looking more carefully, the left
piston's switches never release, so I guess this is not true.

I was tracing through your circuit and I think I understand, but I'm either
messed up or I found a flaw.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/Computing/adder.bmp

It seems to me that the bottom input of the COut switch needs to be A AND CIn,
not A AND NOT CIn, right?

I was able to make sense of the switch that has NOT B going into it as:

1. NOT B AND NOT (A AND CIn OR NOT A AND NOT CIn) ---- top port
2. NOT B AND     (A AND CIn OR NOT A AND NOT CIn) ---- bottom port.

And the B Switch

3.     B AND NOT (A AND CIn OR NOT A AND NOT CIn) ---- top port
4.     B AND     (A AND CIn OR NOT A AND NOT CIn) ---- bottom port.

But it seems to me that you combine them together wrong, unless I've screwed up
my truth tables.

You combine 1 and 4 for A+B+C, when I think you need to combine 1 and 3.
Am I whacked?

Oh yeah... it also requires rubber bands on the pistons to retract them
when there's no pressure, but since rubber bands are likc less than a
penny for half a dozen, I'm thinkin' that's probably not a serious problem.

Nope they are an accepted part of the process.

8 switches and 2 pistons.  5 switches ganged on one piston and 3
switches ganged on the other.

My brain hurts... I need sleep.  :)

Mark