 Technic / 10880
Re: A better full adder!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 06:09:51 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Mark Tarrabain wrote:
Brian H. Nielsen wrote:
   While working with Mark's full adder design, the XOR gate in particular, I
found something which may be useful in some pneumatic constructions.

Egad!  Another madman joins the fray!  ;)

   In Mark's fulladder http://www.members.shaw.ca/markt1964/fulladder3.jpg
consider just the XOR gate (the 3 switches on the piston on the right).  There
are actually 3 outputs from the XOR gate.  The bottom switch outputs AND, the
middle switch outputs XOR, and the top switch would output NOR if it weren't
plugged up.  These 3 functions are mutually exclusive and one and only 1 will
always be true.  This can be used to retract pistons attached to the outputs
whose values are false.

   Setup just the XOR gate and connect each output to the expansion port of a
piston.  Now, with the 3 pistons in compressed mode connect the 3 compression
ports all to the same T, forming a closed system on the compression ports.  Now
when the XOR gate is pressurized one piston will be forced to expand and create
positive pressure in the other pistons compression ports causing them to
retract.

Am I misunderstanding you or are you suggesting that the pressure
created by the expansion of one piston would actually be sufficient to
compress *TWO* others?   Unless the pistons had no loads at all, I'm not
sure if that would really work.

I think the idea here is that they are mutually exclusive - only one will be
expanded at any one time, so when a different one is expanded, it effectively
only has to retract one other - the one that was previously expanded.

ROSCO