 Technic / 10881
Re: custom aluminum axle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 06:31:17 GMT

i tell you what... after about 2 hours of continuous running tonight, i
couldn't see and visible damage to the bricks.   Its polished rather nicely
and feels like its about the same smoothness of an actual tech axle.  In my
application there appear to be no drawbacks what so ever.  A few people had
thought that it might cause the inside of the worm gear mechanism to break
apart.  since the tolerance is nearly exact, that proved wrong.

And the ride performs far more acurately than it ever had before.  And the
lack of flexing in the axle actually improved one of the other odd issues
that plauged the ride previously, which was its tendency for the liftarm
supports to split apart around the lifting arm.

overall after the first test.  I'd say it works quite well.  Just I had
suspected it might.

at least something worked out this week...

- tk

"Ross Crawford" <rcrawford@csi.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.technic, Travis Kunce wrote:
Hey guys,

I'd love to know if anyone else would be interested in using this type • of
thing.  tomorrow i'm getting a quote from a production shop to see if it
would be worth getting a lot more of this made.  I'll let you all know • what
I find out.

Hmmmm it would certainly solve the problem of bending in my all-terrain • crane...

But if used as a rotating axle, my guess is it would damage the holes it • ran in
pretty quick unless they're re-inforced. I seem to recall John Barnes • fiddled
with brass re-inforced technic beams, and Jennifer Clark used some on her • crane.

ROSCO