 Technic / 10874
10873  |  10875
Subject:
custom aluminum axle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 01:41:31 GMT

Hey guys,

After running my roundup ride all day at the roadshow preview at Lego
headquarters last weekend, it bacame apprent that an entire days worth of
torquing the main technic axle is too much for the abs plastic which looked
somewhat like a twizzler by time it got home.

if you haven't seen it here is the ride.

Well, by the end of the day, I was talking custom milled technic axle much
to my LUG's dismay.  Well, I couldn't let it go, and by Monday morning I had
to find out if it was possible, and began unsuccessfully to call machine
shops looking for a donation.  Finally it struck me, and sure enough the
answer was right under my nose at work.  After a quick directory search, I
found a nice guy named Steve at Harvard's High Energy Physics Machine Shop,
who after a quick explanation of the problem and my groups prolific minifig
scale amusement park rides, generously offered to donate his time and
materials.  Well, here is the result of his hard work and my ongoing
insanity.

I took the liberty of having him put grooves in the axle to make it easier
to pull or possibly put eclips on for strength.  Let me know what you think.

I'd love to know if anyone else would be interested in using this type of
thing.  tomorrow i'm getting a quote from a production shop to see if it
would be worth getting a lot more of this made.  I'll let you all know what
I find out.

-tk