 Technic / 10897
Re: Need Help Setting up Apache Web Server
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.general, lugnet.publish, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 2003 02:42:18 GMT

Max Maxwell <r34_v@hotmail.com> wrote:
So I guess my problems are the fact I have a dynamic IP address, and a
router which has a public IP address outside, but a private IP address
inside the router. The Apache server is located on private IP address, so
anyone outside my network cannot access my server. And, I also need
someone to explain how people outside my network can access my server on
my private IP address, through my router, by typing in my domain name
(http://focusrs.gotdns.com).

The forwarding through the router is done *by* the router. Look at its
documentation.

And also someone to explain how people can always type in my domain name
and access my server, even if my public IP address changes.

This is done by services like dyndns as people have explained. Probably your
"gotdns.com" does this too, but I'm not familiar with them.

[ -> .off-topic.geek ]

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux      ------>                <http://linux.bu.edu/>