 Technic / 10821
Re: LEGO design patterns... you know, there's a book in that, I'm sure of it!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 23:05:33 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Horst Lehner wrote:

Allan Bedford wrote:

In that regard, I would see the
need for a software developer with strong GUI skills to assist in planning the
layout of the site.

Not being exactly the GUI expert you may have envisioned, I think the GUI
would need to offer sensible categories and potentially more powerful
mechanisms to really find the patterns a user is interested in, from the
limited information he might at the beginning be able to give.  Let me give
an example:
- If I already know I need a differential, then I might very easily
  be able to navigate to the page about differentials, just to see
  alternative ways to build one
- But what if all I know is I need some mechanism that allows the
  drive wheels of my vehicle to run at different speeds? Then it
  might be a lot harder to dig out the right page ...

Excellent example.  Yes, it was really the organizational aspect that I was
thinking of.  This is partly a facet of the GUI... in how the user navigates to
the data, how it is presented etc.  But on second thought, it's also a data
storage/organization issue.  Back-end stuff that might need someone with strong
database skills and the implementation of a good search engine.

The more data the site collects, the more important the second case gets.

Exactly.

Additionally, I've never seen why it had to be strictly related to Technic
type
building.  Why not sculpture techniques, architectural elements, or basic
structural engineering?  Fred's article touches on mechanical engineering, but
doesn't really take it beyond that.  There are so many facets of design
principles (or cliches) that could be shared... it seems a pity this hasn't
happened yet.

If we really create an infrastructure as powerful as outlined above, I would
certainly love to see it used for more than just Technic patterns.
Generally, I would not want to exclude anything at the beginning, but rather
design the site in a way that allows users to find and select what they are
interested in, skipping everything else.

Again, this is exactly what I was thinking.  :)

And of course, the site needs submissions from its users to get filled with
useful content ...

I think that both Brickshelf and the BI Portal are examples of this idea in
action.  I don't see why this type of site couldn't work.

Gordon Bentley wrote:

One thing that I find really annoying about this kind of book/CD/website, is
that it rehashes general mechanical knowledge. While there is no argument that
this is important information, it isn't lego specific and is available in a
million other places and forms.

I found this to be a problem with several books on Mindstorms. I don't
want/need
another text on robotics/AI/mechanics/electronics/etc. I want informatio
specific to the RCX and other parts.

Lets focus on lego patterns, not yet another explanation of gear ratios or
levers or straight-line mechanisms.

Maybe the solution to this is to have the web site very lego specific,

This is probably a key idea.  If the technique or principle you want to submit
can't be replicated in LEGO, there's really no point in submitting it.
However........ (continued below)

yet
to allow submissions of links to related non-LEGO sites that explain the
mechanical principle behind the LEGO pattern for those who are interested.

However, by including links to non-LEGO information, you may actually prompt
someone clever to find a solution to a problem using LEGO, and thereby fueling
the submission of another LEGO-related idea.

Again, this follows the rule to not exclude anything, but make sure it
doesn't get into the way of more advanced users.

It needs simple and advanced techniques... and a way to find and utilize both.
I think this is what you're already saying.  :)

Regards,
Allan B.