 Technic / 10804
Re: LEGO design patterns... you know, there's a book in that, I'm sure of it!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 23:25:10 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

No, you're spot on. Gears and chain drives are both viable ways of transmitting
power... but the real trick is to know when each one is a good choice, It's not
even enough just to say "chains are good for bikes and gears are good for
cars".... you need to be able to extend that knowledge about bicycles into what
are the specific characteristics that make chains well suited so that you can
generalise and extend. Why are BMW motorcycles shaft drive? Why are Harleys
chain drive? They're both equally closely related to bicycles, or so it would
seem.

LOL actually most (all?) Harleys are belt drive. When is belt drive a better
option?

But I agree a compendium of such "secrets" would be a good thing. But it'd take
a lot of time & effort to compile, and that's after you've taken the abstract
"secrets" from the peoples minds, and expressed them in words, which I find very
difficult to do with some of my "secrets".

ROSCO