 Technic / 10792
10791  |  10793
Subject:
LEGO design patterns... you know, there's a book in that, I'm sure of it!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 22 Jun 2003 19:36:00 GMT

Adder/Subtractor based mechanisms
Synchro Drive
Pneumatic Circuit
Ratchet
Bracing Lego structures with cross beams
Ganging multiple pneumatic switches onto a single piston for control
the list goes on and on and on...

There's a lot of stuff out there on these things, I know... but
has anyone ever really tried to make a single encyclopedia to catalog
this stuff?  I may be way off the mark here, but I would imagine this to
be a somewhat like for LEGO what Mathworld is for math.

Fred Martin, who wrote "The Art of LEGO Design" would call these sorts
of things "LEGO cliches", with the idea being that they would become
commonly used, but I'm more partial to the term "LEGO design patterns",
as a carry-over from software engineering, where a design pattern is a
highly reusable idea, which once known can then be applied to a diverse
array of applications, whereas cliche carries with it the connotation of
being overused to the detriment of the cliche itself.

Many of these design patterns already have well-known or understood
names, but several do not, and I think it would be beneficial if they
did.  Then it would be possible to discuss some of these lesser known
patterns without always having to refer to specific examples of
implementation.

Thoughts?