 Technic / 10793
10792  |  10794
Subject:
Modifying bricks, Re: Revised Bettendorf Truck Design
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 08:51:14 GMT

(Crosspost to technic, because my reply is more technic releated)

In lugnet.trains, John Barnes wrote:
   Warning - I like to modify bricks.

I understand the - now you’ve modified it, there’s no way back - syndrome. So please allow me to make a suggestion.

I try to “make” the parts I need out of parts that are so common that the act of modification causes little or no unwanted anxiousness.

So - I try to make most stuff from 2x4 and 2x4 bricks if possible. It looks to me like you ought to be able to shape the bottom of a 2x2 brick to conform to the profile of the bottom of that little 2x2 axle brick and then simply drill a couple of holes for the axle. (Keep a set of drills for ABS only. Once a drill has drilled something harder, it will not drill ABS cleanly and may heat up and compromise the hole’s interior surface.)

I cannot believe that the average AFOL is so short of 2x2 bricks, that they dare not risk a few.

JB

Back in the eighties I had a neigbour who was short of technic pistons (nr 3652 on peeron) and created several out of 2x2 bricks. He removed some abs from all sides to make the brick a little smaller and rounding the edges, so it will easily slide up and down as a piston. He removed the inner tube and drilled a little hole through the brick and inserted a little metal pin through the brick and through a connector (nr 3651 on peeron).

Niels