 Trains / 20446
Re: Revised Bettendorf Truck Design
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 01:03:55 GMT

Warning - I like to modify bricks.

I understand the - now you’ve modified it, there’s no way back - syndrome. So please allow me to make a suggestion.

I try to “make” the parts I need out of parts that are so common that the act of modification causes little or no unwanted anxiousness.

So - I try to make most stuff from 2x4 and 2x4 bricks if possible. It looks to me like you ought to be able to shape the bottom of a 2x2 brick to conform to the profile of the bottom of that little 2x2 axle brick and then simply drill a couple of holes for the axle. (Keep a set of drills for ABS only. Once a drill has drilled something harder, it will not drill ABS cleanly and may heat up and compromise the hole’s interior surface.)

I cannot believe that the average AFOL is so short of 2x2 bricks, that they dare not risk a few.

JB

ps: Even my heart was in my mouth when I pushed a couple of sets of switches through my band saw while starting out on the track switching sets :)

In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi wrote:

Actually, it was Ross’ idea to use just one, but here is why I wouldn’t use 2. Cutting the wheel out to me was no big deal. I would never use the element as it was. Now, cutting the brick is another story. Now you have committed its use for life-- there is no turning back. I know that that sounds contradictory, but somehow Ross’ way seems less like mutilation to me than yours. Besides, your way would require twice as many bricks to cut;-)

JOHN