 Robotics / RCX / *2455 (-100)
  Re: NQC 2.2 a1 available for public test

You have to include the code as part of the main message (paste in the text). Lugnet doesn't allow _any_ attachments. Dennis (...) -- Dennis Williamson - Certified Y2K Complacent Bad News: The next millenium starts on a Monday. Good News: You get (...) (24 years ago, 7-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.2 a1 available for public test

Hi, thank you Dave for the new version 2.2 a1 of NQC. I 've done some tests because I want to display some messages. Have a look to the attached test1.nqc. It seems that there was something wrong with my last mail. I try it once more. Now there (...) (24 years ago, 7-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  POWER_OFF serial port interaction

The following word has unexpected behavior: : off ." off" CR CR POWER_OFF ." on" CR ; I see the output when it turns off. when I turn it on I see nothing on the serial port. It finally appears when I type anything at the terminal. The character I (...) (24 years ago, 6-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: NQC 2.2 a1 available for public test

(...) There were three changes with respect to firmware downloading: 1) I now only checksum through address 0xcc00 to match behavior in the ROM. This was interfering with downloading large firmware files (such as the 2.0 firmware). 2) A bug in fast (...) (24 years ago, 6-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.2 a1 available for public test

(...) Won't work -- LugNET doesn't accept attachments. (...) (24 years ago, 6-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.2 a1 available for public test

Hi, thank you Dave for the new version 2.2 a1 of NQC. I 've done some test because I want to display some messages. Have a look to the attached test1.nqc. Ralf (...) (24 years ago, 6-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.2 a1 available for public test

Ok. New nqc-alpha RPMs on (URL). If you downloaded the older release, I suggest re-installing the stable version and then adding the new alpha package. PS -- I'd appreciate reports of systems on which these RPMs work. I just tried it on Mandrake (...) (24 years ago, 6-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.2 a1 available for public test

Matthew Miller schreef: (...) Great :-) BTW was something changed in the NQC 2.2a1 release that downloading firmware all of the sudden DOES work correct? In 2.1r2 when using -fastfirm it hung after a few blocks. Using -firmware worked OK, the (...) (24 years ago, 6-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.2 a1 available for public test

(...) Cool. As of rpm 3.0.3, the obsoletes tag accepts versions. (24 years ago, 6-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.2 a1 available for public test

(...) There is an "obsoletes" tag I could set on the final release. (So nqc final obsoletes nqc-alpha and nqc-beta.) But I need to check that it works with versions -- I wouldn't want nqc final 2.2 to obsolete nqc-alpha 2.3. (24 years ago, 6-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.2 a1 available for public test

Matthew Miller schreef: (...) Excellent work! With this release the firmware download finally works for me without errors :-) (...) It might be nice indeed, but with installing NQC 2.2 final it would have be able to delete both 2.1r2 and 2.2a (not (...) (24 years ago, 6-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 2.2 a1 available for public test

(...) Linux build / RPMs available from (URL). I haven't updated the man page yet but will work on that soon. Q: would it be worthwhile to construct the alpha (and even beta?) RPMs such that they can coexist on the same machine with the stable (...) (24 years ago, 6-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  NQC 2.2 a1 available for public test

Preliminary NQC support for RCX 2.0 is now available in NQC version 2.2a1. Its in the beta test area of the NQC site: (URL) have been a lot of changes internal to the compiler itself, and RCX 2.0 support is only partially complete at the moment, but (...) (24 years ago, 6-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc) !

  Re: How much RAM is left?

(...) Pfff. As if that could possibly be important. If it isn't an object-oriented client-server architecture in Java++, it can't be serious :-) (...) If I read the source correctly, memory is allocated sequentially, and in my image I've got SOURCE (...) (24 years ago, 5-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  RE: How much RAM is left?

(...) Nope, the memory is allocated linearly from the end of the image. The current image size is 12 or 13K. New dictionary entries and ALLOTed memory are interspersed as they occur. NOTE WELL that there is a subtle bug in the RCX ROM routines when (...) (24 years ago, 5-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  How much RAM is left?

(...) I believe that. 32k of RAM is a luxury for forth. That's another thing people don't generally understand about forth, they way it effectively compresses runtime software. I've heard of ram reductions of a factor of 5-10 for forth when compared (...) (24 years ago, 5-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: Has anyone used lnpd succesfully?

(...) Of course, but also currently not very available. But i still would like to fix this problem, or at least find the reason. Sporadically, i'm working or better say thinking about an enhanced version of lnpd, but i think this doesn't make much (...) (24 years ago, 4-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  RE: Which terminal on Linux? plus random thoughts.

(...) Umm, I mean cover the tower and the RCX with a box.... :-) (...) No, Ernst's idea has a preamble byte for the transfer, and then the RCX grabs all of the chars and sums them. If the sum is wrong, then it NAKs the packet and the host sends it (...) (24 years ago, 4-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: Which terminal on Linux? plus random thoughts.

(...) I missed that. What do you mean by simply covered. (...) No surprise there. I implemented XMODEM a long time ago on a spectrometer. I don't remember the details but obviously it stayed with me. Besides all protocols tend to look the same at (...) (24 years ago, 4-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  RE: Which terminal on Linux? plus random thoughts.

(...) I have beta quality Tcl code that sends an SRECORD firmware imge up to the RCX (fast or slow) and has basic terminal capabilities. It also strips comments and whitespace out of files as they are uploaded to reduce the time. I'd like to put a (...) (24 years ago, 4-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Which terminal on Linux? plus random thoughts.

I'm interested in other people's experience with various terminal emulators on Linux. I've been using minicom with indifferent results, probably because it doesn't support delays between lines which possibly overruns pbforth's serial input. minicom (...) (24 years ago, 4-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: make error in Linux build for LegOS 0.2.4

(...) This was one of the first things that I tried but it complained about other tools it couldn't find. It's been a while but I think it had pass1 in the name. Nothing in my bin directory seemed to match. Frankly I stopped working on it since I (...) (24 years ago, 4-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: make error in Linux build for LegOS 0.2.4

Steve morris <smorris@nexen.com> wrote in message news:390EC1B5.416273...xen.com... (...) c++.cpp. The (...) I must have an (...) the cross tools. (...) Try changing the references from <h8...>g++ to <h8...>gpp. Rossz (24 years ago, 4-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Alternatives for NQC Event Support

(...) I'm sorry its been taking so long. I was right in the middle of an overhaul to the NQC code generation classes when RCX 2.0 firmware was posted. This meant I had to finish the re-design before moving onto the simpler matter of an RCX 2.0 API. (...) (24 years ago, 4-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  RE: sensor questions plus

(...) The ROM stuff is documented in Kekoa Proudfoot's internals document, see (URL) for all the details. The RCX interface words in pbForth call into the ROM... (...) It actually *processes* the results of a sensor read by the OCIA interrupt (...) (24 years ago, 4-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  sensor questions plus

You said to keep asking questions. I'm taking you at your word. Questions I've got. o - Sensor questions: Could you explain how the sensor code works? How does it interact with the ROM. Is this (ROM stuff) documented elsewhere? What does SENSOR_READ (...) (24 years ago, 3-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Banging on the tasker

(...) That's my plan. The nice thing about the tasker is that people can write code in a format they are more used to. The same things can be done with event driven single task code but it inverts the control flow. It is more meaningful for most (...) (24 years ago, 3-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  RE: Multitasking questions

(...) Ummm, I'm in the process of verifying all of the old scripts I package with pbForth. It looks like HAT is what actually works, and I've managed to change the documentation and not the code. HAT is in the origianl hForth implementation but I (...) (24 years ago, 3-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: Alternatives for NQC Event Support

(...) I can't wait. I've been holding off learning anything that might change... Does anyone know when RCXCC will support Scout downloading? Dean -- Coin-Op's For Sale!: (URL) Lego Workshop: (URL) Lego Club: (URL) (24 years ago, 3-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Multitasking

(...) 90% of my career has been in embedded systems and now I am doing ASIC design. ASICs are the ultimate in multitasking. Every one of those gazillions of transistors looks at its input continuously in parallel with the others in order to decide (...) (24 years ago, 3-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Multitasking questions

1) scripts/muldemo.txt uses the word HAT instead of ALLOT_TASK. Does HAT actually exist or is this left over from hforth. 2) Tasking by convention? When do tasks switch? PAUSE obviously. Does AWAKE actually context switch or only mark the task as (...) (24 years ago, 3-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  RE: Multitasking

(...) Yes, indeed it does. But the catch is that if you're NOT in the CLI and spinning on something, you don't get anything else done (DUH!) Steve, you sound like you know multitasking issues. Sorry if what I said in a previous post implied (...) (24 years ago, 3-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Multitasking

Does the prompt handler (CLI) do multitasking? In otherwords if a new task is started and control returns to the CLI will the new task ever run? I think I am asking whether it calls PAUSE in a loop while waiting for user input? (24 years ago, 3-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  serial port configuration?

What is the proper serial port configuration? I had it once but I lost it. I'm having other problems so the hunt around method of finding the parameters isn't working. I can no longer communicate (firmdll etc.) unless the RCX is inches away from the (...) (24 years ago, 3-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: Alternatives for NQC Event Support

(...) Within a week. There are a few more things I need to clean up before RCX 2.0 support is ready for alpha. Dave Baum (24 years ago, 2-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: make error in Linux build for LegOS 0.2.4

(...) /root/legos_new/legOS. (...) "s/legOS.*/legOS/i") which ends up (...) it out doesn't (...) sed support (...) something like: (...) I've modified in: export LEGOS_ROOT=$(shell pwd | sed -e "s/\\(.*\\)LegOS.*/\1legOS/i")/ that should works. (...) (24 years ago, 2-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Alternatives for NQC Event Support

(...) I like the second option, find it more elegant and similar to analogous constructs in other languages. But I do see its possible side effects and misuses, so my final choice is option 3. Mario Web page: (URL) member page: (URL) member of (...) (24 years ago, 2-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Windows communication to the RCX

Hello all, after playing a bit with Manuel's application, I ended with a console Win32 application to send/receive LNP messages. It's more simple and ready to be used in combination with other applications. However, it doesn't use overalapped I/O (...) (24 years ago, 2-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: make error in Linux build for LegOS 0.2.4

(...) I tried that already. I since tried to interpret the output of "make -d" and think I found it. The problem is in the definition of LEGOS_ROOT. I am in /root/legos_new/legOS. In Makefile.common it is calculated with (pwd | sed -e (...) (24 years ago, 2-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

3 for me. When can we expect to see a version of nqc that will download the new firm into the rcx? Dave Baum <dbaum@spambgoneenteract.com> wrote in message news:dbaum-062405.16...net.com... (...) (24 years ago, 2-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: make error in Linux build for LegOS 0.2.4

"Steve morris" <smorris@nexen.com> ha scritto nel messaggio news:390E39A3.D49806...xen.com... (...) Have you tried using: $ make clean $ make realclean $ make depend I suspect that you miss .depend files (but I'm not sure). Bye, Paolo. --- Anyone (...) (24 years ago, 2-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: IR communications related questions (long)

(...) I guess what I am really looking for is some kind of quick reference guide. If Hendtlass's book is compatible then I can use his appendix. (...) Gaining experience with real time issues is not exactly my problem :) (...) I guess I need to look (...) (24 years ago, 2-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: Alternatives for NQC Event Support

(...) 3. Definitely 3. Dean -- Coin-Op's For Sale!: (URL) Lego Workshop: (URL) Lego Club: (URL) (24 years ago, 2-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  make error in Linux build for LegOS 0.2.4

I haven't spent much time analyzing this yet but here is the log. This seems familar somehow but I can't remember why. I checked my 0.2.3 area and it builds fine. I've been diff'ing makefiles but nothing leaps out so far. Note that I do make twice. (...) (24 years ago, 2-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  RE: IR communications related questions (long)

(...) Back? You're switching back? Great! Sorry for quoting so much, but the points are apropos the discussion... (...) I based pbForth on hForth, by Wonyong Koh. It is pretty much compatible with any ANSI forth as well. Check out (URL) for more (...) (24 years ago, 2-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: Alternatives for NQC Event Support

(...) I like 3, given the +xx problem with try/catch. (24 years ago, 2-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  It's time to release some patches for LegOS 0.2.4

I've just released on legos.sourceforge.net my patches for LegOS. I was waiting for some life signal from Marcus. In absence of those signals, I assume that all is right... ;-) Forgive me if I broke down something for Linux people, but if I didn't (...) (24 years ago, 1-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  IR communications related questions

I've been working with LegOS for a while but am quite frustrated. I have been unable to get lnp working and am thus unable to to communicate with the host. It is all overkill for me since I merely want to capture some simple data. I am switching (...) (24 years ago, 1-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Alternatives for NQC Event Support

RCX 2.0 adds firmware support for events and resource acquisitiion. The primitives are rather straight-forward. For events, one command beings event monitoring on a set of events, another stops monitoring. If a monitored event occurs, control is (...) (24 years ago, 1-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Need help to put sound in Minerva Program.

Many Thanks to you Jonathan. This will help a great deal with this project. -- Bob Fay rfay@we.mediaone.net The Shop (URL) Knudsen" <jonathan@oreilly.com> wrote in message news:390D8A8D.11A2B9...lly.com... (...) (24 years ago, 1-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Need help to put sound in Minerva Program.

Hi Bob, I've attached a modified version of the Minerva program. It plays different sounds for each of the following events: 1. Moving forward : ascending arpeggio 2. Turning around : descending arpeggio 3. Found something to pick up : deedle-deedle (...) (24 years ago, 1-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Need help to put sound in Minerva Program.

Can you post the program please. I don't think the group excepts attachments, So just copy and paste text into a message. I think all that will be needed is to add PlayTone(freq, duration) where an event is monitored. James Bob Fay (...) (24 years ago, 30-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  RCX2 Lego Website Address

Gareth Jones I think this is the address your looking for (URL) (24 years ago, 30-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Need help to put sound in Minerva Program.

A person with a visual handicap is building Minerva. I would like to add sound to the program while Minerva is going forward, another when she is turning around, and another when she locates something to pick up. This will allow this builder to test (...) (24 years ago, 29-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  RCX2 API Update

I made some mistakes in the first release, so here is a new version. I've also added counter support. <-Readme.txt-> RCX2 Header file for NQC2.1r2 - 27 April 2000 - James Pritchard rcx2api.nqh - NQC Header file that contains constant and macros for (...) (24 years ago, 29-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Makefile question

(...) I have added random number generators to either of the c library, or to the float library (v0.2.3, on Linux). What I did was cd to the lib/c (say) directory, and deposit my source files there. I then edited the Makefile in this directory, and (...) (24 years ago, 28-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Has anyone used lnpd succesfully?

Yes. I have used it successfully, though not always... In my case it seems to be a problem with the uart 16550A. It does not switch to low lattency mode correctly making the tower blind to the RCX. I circumvented the problem setting the UART type as (...) (24 years ago, 28-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Duplex Comms with RCX

(...) I have given this some thought in the past, although I haven't had the (significant!) time that it would take to try this out. I think the best hope for any kind of two-way communication protocol between the PC and one or more RCXes is to use (...) (24 years ago, 27-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.tele, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Has anyone used lnpd succesfully?

(...) Are there known conditions where lnpd works and doesn't work? Are there versions of LegOS which support it better? Mostly I wish I had at least one report of success that would suggest that there is hope at the end of my tunnel. I cannot do my (...) (24 years ago, 27-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Alternative Power Supplies

(...) I'm actually working on a small device that will connect directly to the battery posts in the RCX/Scout. It uses a relay and a few diodes to protect the RCX from reverse polarity and overload. The relay will allow you to switch from internal (...) (24 years ago, 27-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Alternative Power Supplies

Hello Kurt, I want show you three possiblities for alternative power supplies. 1. Take 2 sets of 6 NiMH accus or 2 * 6 NiCd accus to have one set inside the rcx an one set in the charger. This would be a very simple way to solve your problem. 2. The (...) (24 years ago, 27-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: lnptest gives collision errors. Sigh...

(...) I guess there is no hope. I found a long thread here with someone else who had a collision problem . I applied the patch to transmitter.c mentioned in that thread with the same result. I downloaded lnpd.static from arthurdent. Same result. I (...) (24 years ago, 27-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Duplex Comms with RCX

(...) I actually prefer the "junk" solution to a hardware hack. (24 years ago, 27-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.tele, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Duplex Comms with RCX

(...) It seems to me that, given the current hardware, the choices are: send junk or let the tower go dead. My thinking is that if you send junk and trample something, so be it; the tower would have gone dead anyways, forcing you to lose whatever it (...) (24 years ago, 27-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.tele, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Duplex Comms with RCX

(...) Fair enough. It's too bad it doesn't have an always-on mode. (...) Definitely agreed. I'll be patient. (24 years ago, 27-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.tele, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Duplex Comms with RCX

(...) I just haven't found a non-intrusive method for keeping the tower alive. I hate transmitting garbage every few seconds and possibly trampling incoming data. I'm also not sure this is a very good long-term solution. Really a general purpose (...) (24 years ago, 26-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.tele, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Duplex Comms with RCX

(...) Not that there's any pressure or anything. :) (24 years ago, 26-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.tele, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Alternative Power Supplies

I have an RIS 1.5 set, which doesn't have the power connector. I seem to run through a set of batteries in 1-2 weeks, which will eventually get very expensive. What ways are there, other than using rechargable batteries, to supply power to the RCX (...) (24 years ago, 26-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Duplex Comms with RCX

(...) Dave had mentioned making a listen mode w/ keep-alive in a future version of nqc. But I don't think he's gotten around to that yet. (24 years ago, 26-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.tele, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Duplex Comms with RCX

(...) Yes. Note that it is only half-duplex. You probably expected that. (...) The biggest issue you might run into is the fact that the IR tower used by the PC times out if it doesn't transmit anything for a few seconds. Unless you have constant (...) (24 years ago, 26-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.tele, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Duplex Comms with RCX

"James Hammond" <jsh@it-innovation.soton.ac.uk> wrote in message news:3906A2E6.6A40E0...n.ac.uk... (...) Yes it can. There is a standard RCX opcode for sending single byte messages, and you can always use multiple of these commands for more complex (...) (24 years ago, 26-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.tele, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Duplex Comms with RCX

It appears Roblab 2.0 would also be an alternative for your project. Robolab has two different direct modes to control the RCX, one of which is using a remote connection like the Internet. Depending on your direct control requirements, you may want (...) (24 years ago, 26-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.tele, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  RCX2 API

I've put together a NQC API file that allows you to use some of the RCX2 features. I don't no whether anyone else has already done this but here is mine. This is unofficial so is unsupported. All question should go to the group, not Dave or myself. (...) (24 years ago, 26-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  RCX2 API

I've put together a NQC API file that allows you to use some of the RCX2 features. I don't no whether anyone else has already done this but here is mine. This is unofficial so is unsupported. All question should go to the group, not Dave or myself. (...) (24 years ago, 26-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Duplex Comms with RCX

Hi I am sure this has been done many times before, but I am having trouble confirming information. I wish to purchase the RIS 1.5. But before I do I need to be sure that I can communicate with a running program on the RCX and that the RCX can (...) (24 years ago, 26-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.tele, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Q: Determining state of outputs

It works fine. Thanks for your help! Oliver (24 years ago, 25-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  lnptest gives collision errors

I'm trying to use lnpd. First I'm trying to get the test app working o - installed the patch and reloaded the firmware. o - downloaded the rcx version of lnptest with dll (I can't get dllx to work) o - do tke appropriate setserial command o - start (...) (24 years ago, 25-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RCX2: ViewSourceValue Help

(...) asm statements are just followed by a comma-separated list of fields enclosed in braces. In general, each field is evaluated at compile time and the resulting value is truncated to 8 bits. The exception is the & operator. The &x syntax is used (...) (24 years ago, 24-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  RCX2: ViewSourceValue Help

Hi, I'm back after a break from Lego. (I had exams). I've been playing around with RCX2 firmware and want to use the new ViewSourceValue command. What is the correct asm for this. So far I've got this by guessing and looking at RCX2.NQH #define (...) (24 years ago, 24-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Desire Rack & Pinion design

(...) Most of the official LEGO Technic models with steering use a rack and pinion system. You can visit Kevin Loch's unofficial scan repository to check out some of the designs: (URL) sets are in the 8000 range. Or you can simply buy a Technic set (...) (24 years ago, 24-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Desire Rack & Pinion design

Can anyone direct me to some decent pictures of a rack & pinion steering system? Thanks. Rossz (24 years ago, 24-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RCX vs. HandyBoard

Here are some more specific questions that I still have: 1) Can two handyboards communicate with each other from a distance?, either in the same room (i.e. infrared) or via the internet? 2) Besides Interactive C, what exactly are the other ways that (...) (24 years ago, 23-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  ROBOLAB vs. Everything Else

Has anyone put together a website of a side-by-side comparison of the different programming environments for the RCX and their capabilities? i'm giving a series of workshops for professors and some of them are asking me about nqc, etc. but i haven't (...) (24 years ago, 22-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: task switching strategy?

On Fri, 21 Apr 2000, Steve Morris wrote: <snip lots of discussion, some of which I understand now and the rest of which will probably make more sense after I take OS next semester.> (...) I think the big thing is that virtually no one write CPU (...) (24 years ago, 22-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  RE:Thought on pbForth

(...) I get really sad everytime I hear people talking about their first computer experiences including assembling their own computer... I get the feeling that I have been missing out on a lot of fun stuff! been deprived of great fun because I am (...) (24 years ago, 21-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: Thought on pbForth

It is amazing this was mentioned just now. I just started reading chapter 6:pbForth of Knudsen's book with the hopes of learning to use my Palm to interact with the RCX. I don't know Forth at all. Is this a good place to start? What should I use as (...) (24 years ago, 21-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  RE: Thought on pbForth

(...) This is by Neal Bridges, another backwards Canadian!!!! I use Quartus on my Palm, and it's really cool. The original goal of pbForth was to be able to edit source on the Palm and blast it up to the RCX.... Cheers, Ralph Hempel - P.Eng (...) (24 years ago, 21-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  RE: Thought on pbForth

To echo something mentioned on the first message of this thread, I just stumbled on a Forth implementation for the Palm OS: (URL) guess it really does run anywhere. Jeff jeffrey.hazen@northmill.net (24 years ago, 21-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  RE: Thought on pbForth

(...) I _knew it_!! But I guess now I'm guilty of preaching to the choir... (...) This is EXACTLY what makes the RCX an ideal entry to computing. Nobody could sell something like a VIC-20 as an entry level to computing. But this is exactly what we (...) (24 years ago, 21-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  task switching strategy?

I've been wandering through the kernal comparing it to similar kernals I have known or written, trying to understand the design choices. It appears that task are only switched at the 1ms timer interrupt and at yield() function call. yield() is only (...) (24 years ago, 21-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Makefile question

I finally have a project that's large enough and well-enough organized that I have two .c files. (One holds fixed-point math routines.) Now, the README file states "If you need more source files, add them in the Makefile." My question is, what and (...) (24 years ago, 21-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Thought on pbForth

Ralph Hempel writes: > > I've been doing embedded realtime software for > > over 20 years. > > Sounds like you've got lots of expreince with different > paradigms, which is one of the most important aspects > of being a good designer.... My (...) (24 years ago, 20-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  weird legos 0.23 problems

I post this message without much investigation but I am confident I wouldn't find this issue easily. I have compiled code that was running fine on the rcx of approaching 4k size. unfortunately my short term memory failed / I didn't commit my work to (...) (24 years ago, 20-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  RE: Thought on pbForth

(...) Steve, welcome to LugNet and this group specifically. The pbForth group has been a bit sparse lately, but rest assured good things will happen soon. (...) Sounds like you've got lots of expreince with different paradigms, which is one of the (...) (24 years ago, 20-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Lego 20% off sale (inc. Mindstorms)

All Lego (including Mindstorms) at kbkids.com is on 20% sale at the moment. No sign of the UAP, unfortunately. Cheers JP (24 years ago, 19-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Thought on pbForth

I am new to this group so please forgive this reply to an old thread. I've been doing embedded realtime software for over 20 years. A small amount of that has been using FORTH. The question is what does FORTH add to robotics software development? To (...) (24 years ago, 19-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: RCX For Sale.

The product is sold. ===...=== "Bert Onderdijk" <bert_onderdijk@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Ft4Cr3.B2w@lugnet.com... (...) (24 years ago, 19-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: RCX For Sale.

The product is sold. ===...=== "Bert Onderdijk" <bert_onderdijk@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Ft4CMs.AMC@lugnet.com... (...) CD-ROM' (...) If (...) it. (...) (24 years ago, 19-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Directional Bumper Robot Pictures

My friend Jim built one of the models from the RIS 1.5 Constructopaedia in response to a challenge to build a robot that could withstand and detect a head-on collision with a wall. He then modified the design of the front bumper to use two (...) (24 years ago, 19-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Windows communication to the RCX

Hello Manuel, Thanks for this post, this is exactly what we need! Would you, please, send us your Windows and RCX codes that handle the communication? We tried to use lnpd on Linux, but the test example program seems to not work properly and I (...) (24 years ago, 19-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact