 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 306
RE: sensor questions plus
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2000 00:56:39 GMT

You said to keep asking questions. I'm taking you at your word.
Questions I've got.

o - Sensor questions:

Could you explain how the sensor code works? How does it interact with
the ROM. Is this (ROM stuff) documented elsewhere?

The ROM stuff is documented in Kekoa Proudfoot's internals document, see
<http://graphics.stanford.edu/~kekoa/rcx/> for all the details.

The RCX interface words in pbForth call into the ROM...

What does SENSOR_READ do exactly?

It actually *processes* the results of a sensor read by the OCIA
interrupt routine. The type of processing done depends on the
mode, type, and slope settings for that the sensor. The results
are left in a structure for each sensor. You use SENSOR_BOOL, etc
to get at the results after a SENSOR_READ.

How does this relate to the rotation sensor?
In particular if the rotation is changing rapidly how do I make sure
steps
are not missed?

If you don't call SENSOR_READ enough, you lose counts!

o - IR question.

Is IR full or half duplex?

IR is really half duplex. when the RCX sends stuff out the IR port, it
always "hears" that byte back...

Same goes for the tower. And it has the unfortunate tendency to
go to sleep two seconds after the last byte you send out.

o - Pregnant pauses

I do not have reliable text download so I have been typing commands by
hand.
Occasionally I get big pauses where pbforth seems to be ignoring input.
For
example I hit CR every second or so after typing a string of words and
there is
a long pause abd then a single ok. Is this normal?

No. Please post the string you're sending...

o - Missing "ok".

When I type something that gives an error I get the error message but no
"ok" prompt.
Is this normal? It si disconcerting since I am I used to waiting for the
prompt to tell
me it is my turn.

Ummm, I'm not sure. Depending on your terminal settings, your ok may
be getting overwritten.

o - Baud rate.

Is the baud rate fixed by the RCX hardware?

Nope, you can change it at will. In fact, Dave Baums fast firmware option
temporarily sets the rate to 4800 baud. You can set the rate by dinking control
registers in the RCX....

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>