 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 587
Re: NQC 2.2 a1 available for public test
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Sat, 6 May 2000 22:48:28 GMT

In article <391475D7.91D805C3@3dgamers.com>, Jan-Albert van Ree
<javanree@3dgamers.com> wrote:

Matthew Miller schreef:

Matthew Miller <mattdm@mattdm.org> wrote:
final obsoletes nqc-alpha and nqc-beta.) But I need to check that it
works
with versions -- I wouldn't want nqc final 2.2 to obsolete nqc-alpha
2.3.

Cool. As of rpm 3.0.3, the obsoletes tag accepts versions.

Great :-)

BTW was something changed in the NQC 2.2a1 release that downloading
firmware all of the sudden DOES work correct?

There were three changes with respect to firmware downloading:

1) I now only checksum through address 0xcc00 to match behavior in the
ROM.  This was interfering with downloading large firmware files (such
as the 2.0 firmware).

2) A bug in fast firmware download (introduced in 2.1r2) was fixed.
This bug prevented fast firmware from working at all.

3) I changed the timing model a bit.  The result is that for most normal
operations, NQC predicts how many bytes the response will be and allows
the RCX to pace everything.  This allowed me to backoff some of the
timeouts since 99% of the time you'll never be timing out but just
flow-controled from the RCX.  The net effect should be slightly faster
throughput (especially in situations with variable latency through the
serial driver), and slightly more generous timeout times.  The only
situation this doesn't hold for is fast firmware download which doesn't
get paced correctly from the RCX...it seems like it is possible to choke
it with data and I'm not sure why.  In this case the old adaptive
algorithms hold, which means the first few packets are a bit slower than
before (due to the longer timeouts), but then it quickly ramps up speed
as it determines the proper latency across the link.

Dave

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com