 Robotics / Handy Board / 7768
Re: RCX vs. HandyBoard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard, lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sun, 23 Apr 2000 22:25:11 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Here are some more specific questions that I still have:

1) Can two handyboards communicate with each other from a distance?, either in
the same room (i.e. infrared) or via the internet?

2) Besides Interactive C, what exactly are the other ways that one can program
the handyboard?  has anyone created a more intuitive graphical interface?

3) Does the handyboard have a speaker that can play different frequencies like
the RCX (or can one be added as an output?) ?

4) Exactly how many sensors can be used at once with the handyboard w/o the
expansion board?  (I read 4 outputs, but couldn't find the number of sensors)

5) How fast can the handyboard acquire data? (RCX is 100-150Hz max)

6) How many different programs can be stored at once on the handyboard? (RCX:
5)

7) How many multiple tasks can be run on the handyboard at the same time?
(RCX: 12)

8) How many timers does the handyboard have? (RCX: 4)

9) Exactly how easy is it to attach LEGO or other components to the handyboard?

10) What is the size of the analog-digital conversion? (RCX: 10 bit)

-Ben

p.s. dialup is really slow in china, so text answers are preferred to
downloading files or surfing sites!

In lugnet.robotics.handyboard, Fred G. Martin writes:
the HB FAQ has some of this.  there is a listing of the specific
features of the HB.

see

http://el.www.media.mit.edu/projects/handy-board/faq/

fred

In your message you said:
is there a website that gives a side-by-side comparison of the features of • th
handyboard vs. the RCX?  i'm giving a series of talks to professors about • the
rcx and robolab, and some of them have asked about the handyboard, but i • don'
know a whole lot about it.

if you could bcc me at ben@alum.mit.edu that would be great.

i'm also looking for a similar side-by-side comparison of robolab vs. other
programming environments.  i.e. are there other languages for the rcx that • ca
do as much as robolab can?  piano player, internet control, data analysis
(fft, etc.) with LabVIEW, graphing package, direct control over the net,
etc.???

-ben erwin