 Robotics / RCX / 579
Re: Alternative Power Supplies
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 12:09:06 GMT

Hello Kurt,

I want show you three possiblities for alternative power supplies.

1.
Take 2 sets of 6 NiMH accus or 2 * 6 NiCd accus to have one set inside
the rcx an one set in the charger. This would be a very simple way to
solve your problem.

2.
The alternative version of the RCX with the ac power plug is sold
separately by LEGO dacta 9709. It 's rather expensive ... DEM 220.00
(plus tax 16% it will get up to DEM 255.20). I don't know the US exact
pricing but it would be something more than US$ 110.00. With this rcx
you can use every external power supply with 8 V to 12 V (AC or DC). It
takes a lot of money but you have two RCX.   ;^)

3.
I don't think that it would be a very good solution to build an selfmade
adapter. This must be some isolaton material (two wooden sticks sized
like the mignon batteries) with contacts for an external voltage unit
with 7 to 9 Volt DC (but take never more voltage than 9 V !!!!!  ...
it is very dangerous for your brick) and place this sticks instead of
the batteries into the RCX. The negative one must get in the first place
near the dark ir window and the positive one in the last place on the
other side.
But you must be sure that you never give more than 9 V to your brick ...
it would burn down your RCX ...  and there would be no chance to repair
it!   :^(   The third way would be so expensive as the second if you
damaded your RCX. You must pay for a new second RCX but in the result
you would only have one brick

(PS: If you can't see the picture take courier font for reading it.)

          ir window

       --------------------
    (#| -  wooden stick    |           (#  is the contact for  the
    (#| -                  |           (#    negative power cable
       --------------------

      --------------------
     |  wooden stick    + |#)          #)  is the contact for the
     |                  + |#)          #)   positive power cable
      --------------------

        yellow back side

I hope this helps
Ralf

Kurt Raschke wrote:

I have an RIS 1.5 set, which doesn't have the power connector.  I seem to
run through a set of batteries in 1-2 weeks, which will eventually get very
expensive.  What ways are there, other than using rechargable batteries, to
supply power to the RCX without the high cost of batteries?

-Kurt

Ralf Krause
Bertha-von-Suttner-Gesamtschule Dormagen
Marie-Schlei-Strasse 6
41542 Dormagen
Germany

http://www.bvsdormagen.de