 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 295
294  |  296
Subject:
IR communications related questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2000 21:54:29 GMT

I've been working with LegOS for a while but am quite
frustrated. I have been unable to get lnp working and
am thus unable to to communicate with the host. It is
all overkill for me since I merely want to capture some
simple data. I am switching back to pbForth with its
simpler communications model.

In the process a few questions come up. It's been a
while so excuse me if I ask the obvious.

o - What is the closest version of forth available on
the PC, hopefully free, that I can use to work out
algorithms? Does it share the same tasking words?
How close is the Hendtlass "Real Time Forth Tutorial" to
pbForth? Are they based on the same standard?

o - Where do I find a (reasonaby) complete list of
available words? I see the RCX extensions in your
tutorial. What about everything else?

o - Are the pbForth tasking words standard?

o - How do I access IR serial at the byte level. Are
there RCX specific words I should use or do I use KEY?
What sort of buffering is there in either direction
that I might have to worry about flushing? Is there
buffering in the isr? (Is there an isr?)

o - What is the interaction between tasking and IR
serial? I assume there is an isr that buffers some
number of characters and I periodically need to poll
with KEY? or some equivalent, and EMIT hopefully
is nonblocking because it puts the data into a buffer
for the isr?

o - For that matter what is the basic structure of
pbForth, especially as relates to I/O? I get the
impression that pbForth uses the ROM to handle most I/O
including the sensors just life the Lego firmware does.
Is this true?

I plan on writing a simple program on the PC (probably
in some scripting language (Tcl? Forth?) or cygwin gcc)
which implements a simple minded protocol with the primary
job of preventing tower timeout. One of the tasks on the
RXC would babysit this communication and pass things
to/from the other tasks as required. It is my hope that
the communication can be non blocking so that I can
communicate in the background while keeping things humming
in the foreground, without degrading performance.

Are there any good communication examples already written
that might help me understand the issues, perhaps the
image upload or something?

Is there anything in the pending release which might help
me here?

Any help appreciated.