 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 302
Re: Multitasking
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 17:18:04 GMT

Ralph Hempel wrote:
Steve, you sound like you know multitasking
issues.

90% of my career has been in embedded systems
and now I am doing ASIC design. ASICs are the
ultimate in multitasking. Every one of those
gazillions of transistors looks at its input
continuously in parallel with the others in order
to decide what to do with its outputs. We only
pretend that CPUs can do multitasking. Hardware
does it for real.

In the old days embedded systems ment writing
your own taskers and I have written a few.
Usually when a new board comes up I am the
one on the team that writes the code to go from
CPU reset to letting the first task run under
OS control. You know what that's like. That's
basically what you did with pbforth.

All this because I was playing with my KIM-1
when I was supposed to be studying physics.