 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 309
Re: Which terminal on Linux? plus random thoughts.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2000 20:32:01 GMT

Ralph Hempel wrote:

I think that the likelyhood of collisions during a debug session makes
it imperative that the bot's are simply covered when talking to the tower.

Keep it simple, right :-)

I missed that. What do you mean by simply covered.

The protocol you described is shockingly similar to XMODEM, which is tried
and true.

No surprise there. I implemented XMODEM a long time ago
on a spectrometer. I don't remember the details but
obviously it stayed with me. Besides all protocols
tend to look the same at the lowest level, especially with
the constraing of using 8 bit asynchronous serial data as
implemented in common OS'es. Your hands are pretty much
tied. You have a framing part that specifies where frames
start and end and an error detection part.

XMODEM is OK for unidirectional transfer like file upload
but is not as strong for bidirectional links. It totally
ignores turnaround for example. I might be tempted to use
XMODEM as the low level packet format but replace the
ACK/NAK with a more useful response, probably a packet
with the same low level XMODEM format. Add my address
and command bytes in the data section and we are right
back to my proposal.

Sergey Udovenko was kind enough to supply XMODEM words
for the last release of pbForth.

I missed that. I thought that was going to be in the
upcoming release. I guess I got it mixed up with
Ernst de Ridder's stuff for code download. Does that
use XMODEM?

In xsend.txt right? I'll check it out. There's nothing
quite as good as code that is already written and tested.