 Robotics / 11364
Re: Duplex Comms with RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.tele, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 13:35:38 GMT

It appears Roblab 2.0 would also be an alternative for your project. Robolab
has two different direct modes to control the RCX, one of which is using a
remote connection like the Internet. Depending on your direct control
requirements, you may want to look at pbFORTH.

In lugnet.robotics, James Hammond writes:
Hi

I am sure this has been done many times before, but I am having trouble
confirming information.

I wish to purchase the RIS 1.5. But before I do I need to be sure that I
can communicate with a running program on the RCX and that the RCX can
communicate with the PC. I will only be wanting to send and receive
simple commands.

Is this possible?

I think so.

If it is, it would seem that using NQC is the best way to start.

What issues am I likely to encounter? Range of the IR comms? Do the
sender and receiver have to line up, or is line of sight sufficient?

Experiences, hints and tips would be gratefully received.

For information - we want to build a simple model robot, to be
controlled by a PC. The robot will be used as a substitute for the real
thing during development and testing. We are concentrating the
development on the mission planning and control software. However
another group are developing the real robot - all I can say is that it
will use a vacuum seal to attach to vertical surfaces and drive
around...

Cheerio
James
--