 Off-Topic / Fun / 8881
Re: God(tm)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 06:28:53 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Matthew Gerber writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Brendan Powell Smith writes:

...copyright infringement for using God(tm) without permission.

These words strike me as EXTREMELY funny...

But then again, what are the chances that some major religion
(Catholicism...I'm looking in your general direction!) uses this very phrase
in possible litigation within the next 25 years or so?

Well, the religion Scientology (which, I state clearly and for the record,
is absolutely NOT a wacko fringe cult founded by a hack SF author for the
sole purpose of bilking money out of the credulous, the desperate, or the
mentally ill, nor is it a manipulative and exploitive pyramid scheme to
generate tax-free income at the expense of benighted aspirants) is famed for
its litigiousness, and while "God" and "Christianity" might not be
copyrighted, "Scientology" and certainly "Dianetics" already are.  I grant
you, Scientology (though not at all an insane throng of duped cultists)
isn't a major religion in the sense that Christianity or Islam or Buddhism is...

Selfosophy! :) (paraphrasing from Millenium):
"Why are we being careful about these guys?  We don't hesitate when fighting
the forces of darkness."
"The forces of darkness can't sue, Frank."

James
Card-carrying Supressive Person.