 Off-Topic / Fun / 8876
Re: God(tm)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 03:24:36 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Matthew Gerber writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Dave Schuler writes:

Well, the religion Scientology (which, I state clearly and for the record,
is absolutely NOT a wacko fringe cult founded by a hack SF author for the
sole purpose of bilking money out of the credulous, the desperate, or the
mentally ill, nor is it a manipulative and exploitive pyramid scheme to
generate tax-free income at the expense of benighted aspirants) is famed for
its litigiousness, and while "God" and "Christianity" might not be
copyrighted, "Scientology" and certainly "Dianetics" already are.  I grant
you, Scientology (though not at all an insane throng of duped cultists)
isn't a major religion in the sense that Christianity or Islam or Buddhism
is...

I'm sorry Dave!...you're meaning just isn't very clear here...perhaps you
should quit beating around the bush and get down to brass tacks...if you are
going to pussy-foot around the issue, why even post to this thread at all? I
just don't understand...

OMG(tm) Matt, I guess you didn't know about Dave!  I mean about how he was once
held hostage for hours by Scientologists in a room in which a montage of
scenes from Battlefield Earth was projected onto the walls around him while the
the theme from Welcome Back Kotter played softly in the background as they went
to work, and the door was barred shut causing him to miss his bus and have to
walk six miles home (uphill) in the snow....

Maggie C. (who was recently informed by her dentist that Earthlink(tm) is owned
by them-- can this be true?)