 CAD / Development / 6786
Re: LCD - LEGO Connection Database - Proposal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 04:45:36 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Tim Courtney writes:
A note worthy of some serious consideration, I got a priavte email from Jude
Beaudin, who suggested the name might infringe on LEGO's interests.  He
suggested the project be renamed to 'LDraw Connection Database' instead,
preserving the acronym and making it more accurate.  Its a connection
database for the parts in the LDraw library.

Thoughts?

Is it restricted in applicability to just LDraw parts? (that is, if there
were a competing parts format, could the idea be applicable? Could the
database (perhaps with coordinate transformation) itself?

Depends.  The issue really is the compatibility between the libraries, if I
understand correctly.  Different parts libraries have different center
points for the parts, and that's the big issue.  A conversion table would
have to be made between say, Anton Raves' Library (example) and LDraw, or
BlockCAD and LDraw.

As I understand it, only when the parts libraries are compatible does LCD
apply to the other library.  (someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm
really not that technical when it comes to LDraw).

If it's not restricted (and I think it's not) then I don't see using LDraw
in the name. It DOES get around using LEGO(r), but that isn't necessarily
bad, is it?

I see it as 1) avoiding any issue with LEGO over the name and 2) an
extension of building the LDraw brand name.

Sure, we don't have a commercial product, but the recognition throughout the
hobby is something to be desired.  Especially when newbies and/or lurkers
and/or parents with kids get online and look for a LEGO CAD system for their
own use.  LDraw (LDraw.org, the Parts Library, etc) is the center of 99% of
the unofficial LEGO CAD universe.  It only makes sense to keep this name
from becoming diluted.

What does LDraw stand for, after all?

To me, LDraw stands for a system of tools and a parts library.  The name
'LDraw' stands for 'LEGO Draw.'  At one point the name also symbolized
James' DOS programs, ldraw.exe and ledit.exe, but now with editors like
MLCAD, LeoCAD, LDGLite, and the developing BrickDraw3D as mainstays, the
meaning of LDraw has adapted to that of the system of tools.

I've referred to this many times, and it may seem like I'm beating it to
death, but:

http://www.ldraw.org/aboutus/ldrawname

;-)

-Tim